New hopefully soon to be owner.

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

#1 New hopefully soon to be owner.

Post by Herbie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Hello All,

Have been quietly browsing this excellent forum as a result of my absolute love of the E type. I have hired them, looked at them at shows, gazed at pics on internet and I think its time to try and lay my hands on one before prices mean there is less chance.

I love the series 1 but realistically I would struggle to afford one, I have enjoy restoring cars and have a Rover P6, VW Beetle and an old morris 8. I have been looking around for Series 2 cars and prices are varied obviously, I don't mind an import but would convert from left to right hand drive. I have found a car in Europe that has been imported from the States, 1970 Fhc manual which is complete and apparently solid with no rust (I know) needs restoring engine turns by hand. It is up for around ?17000. How does this sound?

Many thanks

Richard.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Any chance that the car you have found is coming from Joop Stolze in the Netherlands? Wonderful place and wonderful guy to visit. Or is it coming from his not-far-away competitor ER Classics.

If not then you could check them out, they both tend to have daily driver E-types (and pristine at ER too) in stock. This would give you a good reference figure for the European market. I've tried to haggle with both in the past, but they stick firm to their prices.

Otherwise if you're looking at S2's then there has been one advertised here at gradually lower prices since the summer, the E-type market here is really small. From memory it's burgundy with a tan interior (newly done). And looked to be a solid car. Can't remember if FHC or 2+2. Can't remember auto vs manual. Price was ?21 grand. That's for a working, driving, use it as it is car, with a very nice interior. No affiliation (etc) to seller.
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

Post by Herbie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Thank you David, I shall have a look into those!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 pm

I've searched my gmail for traces of the burgundy car, but to no avail. Point is whenever I see an E over here I tend to mail the advert link to myself for future reference. Sad, I know.....

However I did find a link to a '67 FHC with manual box, good condition car, for silly-money ?19.5 advertised in Sept. The link to the ad shows that it expired it's timelimit, and would tend to indicate it's not sold. I've PM'd the seller to find out if the car is still for sale.

I remember the car now, it's one of those cars that if I hadn't just forked out on my current car, that I would've preferred this one. More car for less money. That sort of gut wrenching feeling, why was I in such a rush to buy. Anyhow, water under the bridge, or down the toilet....
David
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi Richard...... ?17k seams very cheap for a fhc. Let alone one thats solid and no rust...beware of some of the non existant cars advertised cheap on the auction sites.......just get out and view as many cars as u can this will let u know the true values/verses condition.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

Post by Herbie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks guys,

I shall get the turkey eaten and jump on a flight. I feel that the continuing rise in prices and inaccessibility of s1's now is going to mean that s2's are going to shortly go the same way.

Having had an auto s2 2+2 on hire for three days has made the urge to own an E type even worse!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:53 pm

I checked further onto the '67 FHC manual for ?19.5 and expired ad. I used the reg number and 'check MOT' system to figure out that the car was registered to a new owner in a completely different part of the country at the end of the month of the advert.

Hence car is sold, and seller didn't bother to put "sold" onto the advert to stop it.

Shame, since it looked to be a solid car. At very good value.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the burgundy with light tan interior and give you a nudge if it pops up.
David
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

Post by Herbie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks David, very helpful.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

Post by Herbie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Hello All,

Just paid a deposit on a series 1.5 manual restoration project, needs a lot of work but isn't a complete wreck. Pictures to follow when I pick it up,

Richard.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

Post by Nickleback » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:35 am

David Oslo wrote:
Otherwise if you're looking at S2's then there has been one advertised here at gradually lower prices since the summer, the E-type market here is really small. From memory it's burgundy with a tan interior (newly done). And looked to be a solid car. Can't remember if FHC or 2+2. Can't remember auto vs manual. Price was ?21 grand. That's for a working, driving, use it as it is car, with a very nice interior. No affiliation (etc) to seller.
Hi David,
Can you PM me the details as I'm looking for one
Thanks
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Will do once the ad reappears. Things have sort of calmed down here for the winter, but the car was advertised during the whole of last summer. Ads tend to run for a 30 or 60 day period, depending on how much you pay.
David
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic