Knocking noise from underneath

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
andy8688

#1 Knocking noise from underneath

Post by andy8688 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks for all the replys about the Lumpy engine, It turned out to be something simple as usual. After giving the car a full service it turned out to be the fuel filter, so now thats sorted I now have another problem, there is a knocking noise coming from underneath, my side I think, the faster I go the louder it gets.
The noise sounds like something is catching, but when I apply the brakes it stops.

Andy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Have you checked the wheel splines. If they are worn (or the spinner is not fully tightened) you will get a knocking noise.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andy8688

Post by andy8688 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:55 pm

I have recently had new MWS wheels fitted, but I had a garage fit them, before the car went in for paint job I could hear a slight noise and I had the old wheels on then, also two weeks ago I had the car MOTd on the car I was advised that there was some play in the wheel bearings.

Andy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Andy

Putting new wire wheels on worn hub splines will only damage the new wheels. Take off the wheel from the corner you think it is coming from, clean off the grease and inspect the hub splines carefully and compare to this: http://www.britishwirewheel.com/faq.htm If they are in any way worn they need to be replaced. You could try re-greasing and refitting the wheel. Tighten the spinner by hand and give it a clout with the mallet. Lower the car to the ground and give it three more wacks, the first two will produce a sonorous 'ding' and the final one a dull thud. The spinner is then tight - use a lead mallet if you can to avoid damaging the chrome.

Play in the wheel bearings will make a rumbling sound not a regular knock.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andy8688

Post by andy8688 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks for that David, I will now source some new front hubs and while the wheels are off I will replace the bearings.

Andy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andy8688

Post by andy8688 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:35 pm

Thank you for all the replys, checked bearings front and rear hub carriers, problem seems to lie in the rear somewhere loose handbrake pads maybe.
I will have to wait until I find a good and reasonable mechanic.[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic