Webers or Fuel Injection

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
antseries3etype
Great Britain

#1 Webers or Fuel Injection

Post by antseries3etype » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm

Considering some engine upgrades over the winter months and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on either adding two sets of triple Webers or an injection System to improve performance and reliability.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Webers or Fuel Injection

Post by christopher storey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:47 pm

12 chokes on 6 Webers, presumably IVA or the like, will ensure that I will be able to hear you coming from my house in Cheshire ! And if you need more performance than you have got, then I fear that you have the wrong car, because there is still ( despite the recent horsepower race ) virtually nothing to touch an E, whether 6 or 12 cylinders , for mid range performance, and on today's congested roads any more performance really is rather academic . I don't know what you are used to, but when I had a road car that would do 0-100mph in 8.5 seconds, the performance was completely unusable because it frightened people stupid as you overtook them. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I would advise that you concentrate on getting the best out of your present setup, or, if you really must make a change, go for 4 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Webers or Fuel Injection

Post by mgcjag » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:01 pm

If your really intetested then rearch online for Building the Legend...

Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#4 Re: Webers or Fuel Injection

Post by jagwit » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:58 pm

antseries3etype wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm
adding two sets of triple Webers or an injection System to improve performance and reliability.
To improve reliability, only 1 thing is needed: upgrade the ignition to something modern like Lumenition etc.

To improve performance, serious head and bottom end work is needed before you start spending money on carbs/efi.

I converted an ex-E S3 OTS to HE using 11:1 pistons, std HE heads, Lightweight flywheel and standard V12 HE EFI hardware although managed with Megasquirt. This car ran level with a 4.2L Supercharged XK....BUT....

It was seriously frustrating not having a deep overdrive and I constantly longed for another gear or two.

After all that,I concluded that the car is much more in need of an overdrive transmission than more power.
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 E-type V12, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
antseries3etype
Great Britain

#5 Re: Webers or Fuel Injection

Post by antseries3etype » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Thank you so much for the very informed comments. Regards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#6 Re: Webers or Fuel Injection

Post by abowie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 pm

I have 6 IDA Webers on my XJS race car. Looks cool. But you have to remove them all to replace the spark plugs. And setting them up correctly took many hours on the dyno.

Webers will not offer any added reliability over Strombergs. And they are known for causing engine bay fires in V12s.

As above, the original Opus ignition system is a frequent cause of unreliability. It is by no means my area of expertise so others might comment on the best path to improvements there.

Having said this, were you considering moving to injection you might consider adopting a modern controller that provides programmable ignition as well. This is complex, but offers many potential advantages for getting the most out of your V12. I will probably head down this route with my XJS at some point.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457..oops. Jezza the V12 XJS race car.
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic