"Delilah and Samson"
73, S3 OTS, auto with drop-top and hard-top,35000 miles
Sadly the car has been resprayed, rather well, but not perfect. Beige Interior original 1973. I found evidence of rust and rust repair, but much less than expected.
So now the whole process of sorting out all the usual V12 issues starts all over again.
- Thermostats removed, tested, reinstalled
- Fans come on but temperature at which they come on, not verified yet
- Carbs balanced (draw the same air at idle)
- Carbs synchronised (they all open at the same time)
- Needles removed, O-rings replaced, free movement of needles when adjusted verified, set to 1.5 turns out from full in (full rich). Final fuel tuning yet to be done.
- Remove OPUS ignition, install modern ignition system
- Set timing as per Philip's method (ignore "the book")
- Implement Philip's version of Lutz mod (4,6,12mm)
- Correct front ride height
- Engine, gearbox and diff sounds like it has done only 35k miles - it runs very quiet
- header tank leaks profusely, handed in for repair.
- 4200rpm @ 75mph !!!!!! This is like driving my Coupe in 2nd all the time!!! (2.88 diff going in, in due course)
- Some slap dash aftermarket aircon system was installed in place of the usual heater box. Must all come out. AC pipes running right through the centre of the V !!! As if there is not enough going on there.