Tips for adjusting bonnet fitment and locking mechanism.

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Anthony

#1 Tips for adjusting bonnet fitment and locking mechanism.

Post by Anthony » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Has anyone got any tips for refitting the bonnet on my SIII please.
The bonnet has been standing on its end after painting for at least a year. The hinges and shims have not been removed but I am struggling to adjust the locking mechanism on one side of the car. I've endlessly adjusted the bonnet lock (up/down, forwards/backwards' angled forwards/backwards) but I can't engage the lock on this one side.
The lock control rod moves freely but I can't get it to engage on the bonnet lock and then rotate it to lock it like I can on the opposite side. Neither of the bonnet locks were removed for painting so i was surprised when one side fitted and locked as normal but the other side wouldn't.
The problem is that with the bonnet nearly closed you can't actually see the position of the relevant parts so it seems to be a hit and miss affair. I spent hours today trying to get this right. I don't know if being stood on its end for so long has slightly twisted the bonnet at this point.
Any suggestions would be very welcome please.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Tips for adjusting bonnet fitment and locking mechanism.

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi Anthony.....when you close the bonnet does it sit nice and even, with a similar gap all around.....have you tried adjusting the length of the rod.....you need to unscrew the lock off the A post to lengthen it.......a camera with a flexi wand could be usefull....or your mobile set to video fixed inside the bonnet to get a view when you close could help..... Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Anthony

#3 Re: Tips for adjusting bonnet fitment and locking mechanism.

Post by Anthony » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks Steve. Why didn't I think of that? I taped my GoPro to the inside of the bonnet and put a torch to illuminate the area and it set it to video mode. It captured it perfectly and I've since been able to adjust it and it now locks.
Thank you.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Tips for adjusting bonnet fitment and locking mechanism.

Post by mgcjag » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Good news...nice to here it worked :bigrin:
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#5 Re: Tips for adjusting bonnet fitment and locking mechanism.

Post by nefematic » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm

Anthony,

forget about adjusting the bonnet panel gap!

If indeed your bonnet suffered from standing on end (I doubt it though, they seem to be rigid), here a video for achieving a perfect panel gap without even as much as touching the hinges, or even knowing what a shim is. :shrug: Fast forward to about 7:15:

While the gap might look good, having plaster all over the corners would bother me. I surely would have put more effort in to metalwork and shims here.

Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic