Reverse lamp switch

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
EDW3694
Great Britain

#1 Reverse lamp switch

Post by EDW3694 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi
I have a manual S3 2+2 and am trying to get the reversing lamps to work. I'm wondering where the switch is and what is the best way to get at it? Also is the correct reverse lamp bulb 21w?
Thanks
Simon
'72 S3 2+2 Regency Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave123m
Great Britain

#2 Re: Reverse lamp switch

Post by Dave123m » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 am

Hi Simon,

The switch is screwed into the top of the aluminium gearbox cover & is operated when the reverse selector moves.

I am unsure if you can reach it from below (doubt it) but you would need to remove the exhaust & heat shield to even try.

Alternatively you can definitely access it by removing the gearbox tunnel lid from inside the car but this is a fairly significant exercise & I would only recommend it if you have ruled out all other electrical issues.

Good luck with your investigations.

Dave
Barn Find Series 3, 2+2;
Pace Petroleum Company Car of Aston Martin Chairman Victor Gauntlett
Unused 25 Years; found 13.01.12 (38052 Miles); returned to road 16.05.12
Aesthetically unrestored, driven to Le Mans Classic (x4), Switzerland, Italy, Gibraltar

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#3 Re: Reverse lamp switch

Post by MarekH » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 am

The reverse lamps are fed by a green wire to the top of the gearbox cover (the source of which you may be able to trace). It then becomes a green/brown wire. Access is by removing the tunnel cover, although you may be able to see or feel from below if there is no foam on top of the gearbox.

The bulb for the little square MGB reversing lights is a puny festoon bulb which gives no useful illumination anyway compared to the LED option, which you can see under the "series2 aesthetics" thread from a while ago.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EDW3694
Great Britain

#4 Re: Reverse lamp switch

Post by EDW3694 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi
Thanks for the info. Ive got all the other switches and lights working on the car so I looks like I've left the trickyist one to last.
Simon
'72 S3 2+2 Regency Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic