Series 3 etype 2+2: cooling system

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
chris420sa
Great Britain

#1 Series 3 etype 2+2: cooling system

Post by chris420sa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:05 pm

I am soon to refill the coolant after draining (painfully protracted process) to fit upgraded heater. In addition to 40% Bluecol 2 year "antifreeze", do members recommend using distilled water rather than (East Sussex) tap water?

Also, do members recommend using Hylomar Universal Blue on the connections of the heater inlet and return hoses to the metal water pipes?

Many thanks
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

42south
New Zealand

#2 Re: Series 3 etype 2+2: cooling system

Post by 42south » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi Chris
I did use distilled water when filling mine, I cant give any decisive reasons for doing so, but thought its a new rebuild lets keep it pure.
I have not heard of using hylomar on the heater hoses, I only use some red rubber grease when fitting them. I have never had any leaking in this area.
When refilling and initial running to clear out air, put the front wheels up on ramps, it helps get the air out of the system.

cheers
Mark
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype
Son: when I grow up, I want to be a pilot
Dad: You’ll have to choose.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#3 Re: Series 3 etype 2+2: cooling system

Post by Craig Balzer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:14 am

If you took the opportunity to clean up the engine bay and/or simply do not want to spray coolant across the engine bay, I would recommend first filling the system with just water. This would allow you to pressure check for leaks at the risk of simply losing water and without damaging newly painted or plated items with heated collant. Once you are sure the system is leak-free, then drain and refill with your appropriate mix of coolant -- Craig

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic