V12 Sweet Sounds

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
lundabo
United States of America

#1 V12 Sweet Sounds

Post by lundabo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm probably cursing myself for saying this, but for the first time ever I recognized the "sewing machine" sound that many have used to describe the V12. The strangest part is that I was fearing that I needed a top end rebuild because the tappets were so loud, but a mechanic told me to do an amsoil flush and refill with a bit lighter oil (10w 40). Black oil came out with the flush, and what it left was a smooth running engine! I still think the valves need some adjustments, but the smoothness of the engine is like night and day. It does sound like a singer sewing machine. You have to put your ears up near the louvers to hear any ticking. Really happy with the results...until the next problem arises!
Bill Gutierrez
1961 OTS - under :hammerdrill:
1973 OTS - mostly working

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MontanaDiver
United States of America

#2 Re: V12 Sweet Sounds

Post by MontanaDiver » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:48 am

Thanks for the different perspective. I ran a shop for years and always wanted to run the lightest oil possible to aid in reducing the engine temperature by creating more oil flow. Increasing the amount of oil passing though the various parts of the engine reduces the temperature unless the bearings have enough sloppiness to through a cat through them.
I am amazed that Jaguar likes the high viscosity oils. I broke a rod in my Triumph and had to replace the short block. I checked the cylinders in the bad block and the new ones and they were both still within new specifications even though the bad block had 75K and the replacement had 28K miles.
Currently running the 20W-50 in the S3, It doesn't get enough miles to go to Synthetic and I drive it every month of the year. First time with the top down since November. A little brisk in a short sleeve shirt.
I would love to hear more about running lighter weight oils, since I have never seen a reference to the main bearing clearance measurement.
Presume main bearings is the rationale???

I love the sound of my V12. The most noise I have is from the fuel pump with the soft top up!

Dennis
Dennis
74 E-type OTS 4 speed
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
Great Falls, Montana

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic