General performance and service help

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Sirjakethebrit
Great Britain

#1 General performance and service help

Post by Sirjakethebrit » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 am

Hi guys and girls.

As said in my introduction post, my dad has a series three v12 a few issues with it. I put it all down to the minimal maintenance the car has had over the last 17 years! Anyway i keep badgering him to sort it (i enjoy swanning about in the sun in it!)

The main orthonormal is the car has no power, properly lacking. From what i understand the v12 was 260bhp 0-60 in about 7seconds and 150 flat out.

I think ours will be flat out at about 90! The engine doesn't want to rev. It feels like it's running through custard, doesn't want to rev past 4k and is properly properly gutless, my work van full of tools is quicker. So it's not that it's slow compared to Modern stuff is just slow.

Could a carb rebuild be needed?

Also we fired it up the other day and there seems to be a knock from the front nearside bank on the engine, not sure if it is a belt (these haven't been changed in my dad's ownership!) is there anything to suspect??

Help much appreciated and i understand its hard to diagnose off some ramblings on a forum lol.
Series 3 V12 etype
2015 renaultsport megane 265
2006 boosted renaultsport clio 197

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#2 Re: General performance and service help

Post by chrisfell » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:57 am

Start with a full service. All fluids, engine gearbox axle, all filters and spark plugs and replace any belts. Then a proper tune up, carbs, ignition. Lastly, and before a test drive, check the brakes completely, pads discs and all the hydraulics. If that doesn't pep it up, then something else is wrong, possibly serious.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: General performance and service help

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:11 am

Hi..Whats your name......you should also check out the fuel pumps.... its twin pumps on the V12 and one packing up or intermittant will cause fuel delivery problems....make sure you use the highest octane you can get..Vmax etc but as Chris has said above a car like yours thats beem poorly maintained deserves a good service
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Sirjakethebrit
Great Britain

#4 Re: General performance and service help

Post by Sirjakethebrit » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 am

mgcjag wrote:Hi..Whats your name......you should also check out the fuel pumps.... its twin pumps on the V12 and one packing up or intermittant will cause fuel delivery problems....make sure you use the highest octane you can get..Vmax etc but as Chris has said above a car like yours thats beem poorly maintained deserves a good service

Aup, my names jake. I put it in the welcome section and forgot to put it in here because i wrote them one after the other lol.

Yeah i half expect it to be the lack of love she's had over the last 15+ years. It feels Smooth except the knocking sound.
Series 3 V12 etype

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#5 Re: General performance and service help

Post by MarekH » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 am

Dear Jake,

Use a long screwdriver as a stethescope to try and home in on where the noise is coming from. Without a lot more detail, there isn't anything anyone here will be able to suggest that isn't simply pure speculation.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: General performance and service help

Post by christopher storey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:42 pm

The V12 has a considerable number of takeoffs from the inlet tract which , if the piping deteriorates, allows air leaks into the manifold which cause weak mixture . One of the first checks which I would get someone to make is a vacuum gauge test . This can reveal a whole range of problems

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Sirjakethebrit
Great Britain

#7 Re: General performance and service help

Post by Sirjakethebrit » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:09 pm

MarekH wrote:Dear Jake,

Use a long screwdriver as a stethescope to try and home in on where the noise is coming from. Without a lot more detail, there isn't anything anyone here will be able to suggest that isn't simply pure speculation.

kind regards
Marek

Cheers, yeah i understand its a bit vague only having a rough description, just wondered if there was any particular trees to bark up!!

Is definately towards the front of the nearside bank of cylinders.

Being a modern hot hatch owner this is an intresting change for me to faff with a classic.
Series 3 V12 etype

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic