Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Crycroft
Great Britain

#1 Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Post by Crycroft » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:32 pm

I have a 1973 series 3 roadster which has been completely restored. I am experiencing fumes in the passenger compartment at all speeds. I have had the exhaust checked for leaks but is found to be 100%. I have fabricated a net which goes over both seat and provides a small amount of wind deflection (as on modern drop heads) but only partly resolves the problem. I am wondering if the design creates a low pressure area ove the trunk area which then sucks in the fumes. Has any member experienced this sort of thing?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Post by Heuer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm

First thing to check is that all engine bulkhead rubber plugs and grommets are in place. Next check the seal of the fresh air intake against the heater case (use talc as a witness test).The latter was a problem on my FHC because the repro heater housing volute was tilted slightly during manufacture meaning the seal was gaping at the front end. Adding small spacers under the lower mounting brackets brought the volute level and allowed it to seal.

As regards low pressure areas in the E-Type take a look at this video. It is 25 minutes long but well worth watching to the end!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#3 Re: Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Post by AussieEtype » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:15 am

I have had my Series 3 for 35 years and with the top down, yes you always get a wiff of exhaust - really a function of nothing behind the windscreen so sucks it back - not such an issue with the side windows down - more so when they are up.

No issue when the top is up and if you are getting fumes then, as advised you need to check the exhaust and body plugs etc for leaks.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Whitact
Great Britain

#4 Re: Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Post by Whitact » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 am

I think this is a pretty common problem and may be inherent to the design as indicated by David's video.
On my OTS it made itself most apparent with the hood up and one window open. I went through the full bulkhead and heater routine (don't forget the under bonnet seals on the two fresh air vents) without much success.
The things that did make a big difference were refitting the boot lid, seal and latch properly, refitting the number plate light gasket (where there were clear sign of exhaust gas being drawn in) and removing and refitting the exhaust system with plenty of jointing paste. I know some people fit longer tail pipes to get the exhaust out further behind the bumper, but I have not done that yet. In any event the car can now be used without the luggage smelling of fumes at the end of the day. Never had a problem with the roof down, even with both windows up and a mesh screen behind the headrests.
Never had the problem on the FHC either.
Good luck.
Adrian Turner
S3 OTS & FHC
S1 FHC
XK140 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Double Six

#5 Re: Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Post by Double Six » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Great video David - fascinating stuff! Obviously only a model, but I've made animated Gifs of the turbulence. Low Speed:

High speed:

High Speed Close Up:

Xander
1973 Silver Series III OTS, manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

71 V12
Great Britain

#6 Re: Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Post by 71 V12 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:34 pm

I suffered exhaust fumes in the cabin on buying my V12. Completely cured by replacing ALL rubber fittings on the engine breathing system and retuning the carbs.

It is essential on a V12 there are no leaks in the breather system, and this includes the large rubber grommet on the top of the left cylinder bank and the sealing grommet on the front of the right bank.

Only when the air leaks are sealed will you get anywhere near to obtaining the correct air/ fuel mixture.

Take a good look at all of your fittings for loose or perished rubber and any clamps are correct securing the rubber fittings.

You should not have fumes in the cabin.

Good luck

Kevin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jonhall88
Great Britain

#7 Re: Fumes in the passenger compartment with a series 3 Roadster

Post by jonhall88 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:37 pm

mine was really stinking of petro fumes checked everything with no signs of leaking it was only when I fitted a new fuel pump I noticed a minute drip of fuel from the filter housing 1 drip every 10 to 15 mins but that was enough to make the car stink. Strangely enough it was worse on the passenger side probably due to air flow inside the car
1974 ser 3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic