Keeping the rain out...

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
John_Mann
Australia

#1 Keeping the rain out...

Post by John_Mann » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:15 am

Slowly sorting through a list of items that weren't put back together properly on my newly acquired fully restored 2+2. Although I tend to try and avoid taking it out in the rain, on the off chance that I do get caught out, I'd like not to have water pouring into the car. Latest leak I've identified appears to be coming through and dripping out from the bottom of both the front A pillars. Now I'm loathed try and remove the external chrome A pillar trims to investigate the possible leak, as they appear to be stuck on and I would no doubt end up destroying them.
So I'm just wondering what special sealing if anything may be required around that area, which may not have been done properly, when the car was reassembled? I've poured water onto the roof gutter, which runs down behind the A pillar chrome finisher, some runs out the bottom, some out the bottom of the doors, as it should and the rest comes inside as it should not (I assume).

Any advise, photos, etc. is appreciated.

Cheers;
John Mann
1972 S3 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C
2007 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Keeping the rain out...

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:53 am

Hi John...is the water actually comeing through the A post with your door open and pouring water in the gutter.....or with the door closed comming through between the door and post....also when you open the door towards the front upper face in a triangular section there is a drain hole that should drain to the bottom of the door and out...small covers over the drain holes to stop water comming in over these holes at the bottom.... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
John_Mann
Australia

#3 Re: Keeping the rain out...

Post by John_Mann » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Steve,
Water is dripping inside from the bottom of the A pillar, when the door is closed and pouring water on the roof gutter, which runs down behind the external chrome finisher on the A pillar.
The drain hole at the top of the door is all clear and has the tube connected that drains to the bottom of the doors and out the lower drains which have the shields to direct the water to the outside of the car.
Cheers;
John Mann
1972 S3 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C
2007 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Keeping the rain out...

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi John...not sure if the S3 is exactly the same as my S2 2+2.....but behind the A post trim is a water drain from the front corner of the roof.....in tbe photo attached you can just see a wire that i have pushed down from the roof and it comes out in the small channel to guide water away open the door..then pour water on the roof and see what hapens.......could be your just pouring in to much for the channel to handle
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic