New Fuel Pump

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
SRK
United States of America

#1 New Fuel Pump

Post by SRK » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:42 pm

With a new ignition system my engine is great so I finally had the car inspected yesterday so now I'm legal :bigrin:

I put around 50 miles on it this weekend running around the island looking for issues; have some suspension vibration to deal with but other than that the car is running well. On the way home I started smelling gas, pulled over looking for leaks under the bonnet but did not find any. When I got it to my garage I looked more and found the fuel pump leaking. Turns out its a aftermarket PoS with a bunch of poorly installed black electrical tape wiring. I had already ordered a spare fuel pump so I pulled it out to compare. The original wiring harness has connectors that fit the pump with the exception of the bridle that connects the end which I will make. I also just ordered new foam and a new wire grommet so I can do the installation right. The only thing that throws me now is what I believe are two vents on the new pump. They look like they're designed to have a hose attached? (see below) Can anyone confirm they are vents and should they be hooked up to anything or run somewhere? I looked in the manual but do not see them referenced?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#2 Re: New Fuel Pump

Post by JagWaugh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:38 am

Those are vents for the space behind the membrane. You can leave them without a pipe attached, or if you want to work like an aircraft mechanic... plumb them to reach the outside of the car, so that if the membrane ever fails and you somehow get fumes or fuel coming out of there then it ends up outside of the car. The problem is that if those pipes ever get clogged then your pump won't work - I'm not sure if it will stop working entirely, or just pump at a reduced rate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
SRK
United States of America

#3 Re: New Fuel Pump

Post by SRK » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks for the quick reply!!! I think I'll pipe them together and send them to the bottom of the trunk somewhere. I'd prefer not to have gas splashing around in there again :shock:

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic