lowering seat height

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
lundabo
United States of America

#1 lowering seat height

Post by lundabo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi, has anyone looked into lowering the seat height in the SIII? It seems that when I get into an acceptable driving position, by sightline is right into the sunvisors/top of the windshield. Would love to lower the driver's seat a bit. I know how it is done on the earlier S1, but having never taken apart a SIII seat, not sure what can be done. Any BTDT?

Relatedly, I find the SIII seats very uncomfortable. My butt slides to the middle of the bottom cushion, causing my lower back to slump and fatigue very quickly. The seats probably have less than 5k total miles (maybe 10 years ago) since being fully re-bolstered/reupholstered, so I dont think it is a breakdown of the seat. IN any event, it seems like if I could lower the back of the bottom cushion to create some slope front to back, it might help both problems, but I'm not sure if that is feasible.
Bill Gutierrez
1961 OTS - under :hammerdrill:
1973 OTS - mostly working

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#2 Re: lowering seat height

Post by JJC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi. I am 6'3 , and have had my '73 since new. I am very comfortable in it, because I made a few mods. You will have to remove the seat tracks.( I assume you will be the only one driving, so not a problem, and take some seat foam out from the bottom). Place seat as far back as possible, leaving room to adjust the back , and mark. Now start to attach the seat (gets a little tricky here, but doable) by bolting the seat right to the floor. You will need a few shims (thick washers will work). The rear you will have to attach from under the floor. Remember that the seat bottom has a little rake to it, so front will have a few shims, different left to right, but rear need no shims. Now, before you re-install seat, open up bottom seat cushion, and scrape, or cut, about an inch of foam from cushion. Very easy. Put seat cushion back together, and presto !!, you will have an E-Type for the tall and handsome ! Good luck ! John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
lundabo
United States of America

#3 Re: lowering seat height

Post by lundabo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 am

JJC wrote:Hi. I am 6'3 , and have had my '73 since new. I am very comfortable in it, because I made a few mods. You will have to remove the seat tracks.( I assume you will be the only one driving, so not a problem, and take some seat foam out from the bottom). Place seat as far back as possible, leaving room to adjust the back , and mark. Now start to attach the seat (gets a little tricky here, but doable) by bolting the seat right to the floor. You will need a few shims (thick washers will work). The rear you will have to attach from under the floor. Remember that the seat bottom has a little rake to it, so front will have a few shims, different left to right, but rear need no shims. Now, before you re-install seat, open up bottom seat cushion, and scrape, or cut, about an inch of foam from cushion. Very easy. Put seat cushion back together, and presto !!, you will have an E-Type for the tall and handsome ! Good luck ! John
Thanks for the insight!
Bill Gutierrez
1961 OTS - under :hammerdrill:
1973 OTS - mostly working

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic