Tom's Series III 2+2 Coupe Restoration

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
tombrookscomms
Great Britain

#1 Tom's Series III 2+2 Coupe Restoration

Post by tombrookscomms » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Hello there,

I'm Tom, I'm 22 and I've just bought my first Jaguar E-Type. It's a Series 3 2+2 from 1972 and was imported from the US in 2017, so structurally it's in great condition compared to similar age cars that are in need of restoring, which is a big reason that I was so tempted by it.

So what does it need? Well, a full respray is in order as well as a re-trim. The bumpers and trim will need to be re-chromed and the wire wheels re-spoked. The nearside footwell has a couple of small holes, so some patch work to do there or possibly a replacement floor pan.

Mechanically? Well it runs and drives. However, there's a couple of issues with the carbs and they're only working on one side (I've always wanted to try a Straight 6 anyway!), so I reckon they'll need to be overhauled. I also think it has the wrong fuel pump on it, which may be attributing to it running a bit rough so far.

So as you can see, all I need to do is stick the cigarette lighter in and we'll be away! Joking aside though, I'm taking on this project with my Dad who has also restored an XJ6, Alfa GTV, Trimuph Stag and GT6 amongst others. He'll be taking on the majority of the mechanical work as I don't know my arse from my elbow in the garage, whilst I'll be sourcing parts and probably assisting with some of the bodywork.

The current plan is to get everything up and running properly so I can drive it around for a while, that way I'll be able to see if there's any mechanical issues that need attention before we strip it down. I'm very tempted by an RHD conversion for the UK (although I know this does divide opinion!), so I'd be keen to get your thoughts.

Anyway, here's a couple of photos. Looking forward to sharing the journey with you!

1973 S3 2+2 Coupe restoration project

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Tom's Series III 2+2 Coupe Restoration

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 am

Tom, welcome to the forum and good luck with all your work (or should we say your father's work :wink: )
This forum is a wonderful source of help and advice so please don't be shy about asking questions, even if they sound silly, we've all been there and gained from it.
Search the knowledge base for the information on LHD to RHD conversion, the dash parts are available. Buy the correct manuals for the car (not just the Haynes books), print off pages from the knowledge base for ready reference in the garage, but do have the books as well.
Keep us aware of progress, why not start a blog on the restoration part of the forum.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Tom's Series III 2+2 Coupe Restoration

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 am

Hi Tom....welcom to the forum...you could possibly be our youngest owner...great project you have there and by the time youve finnished you will be a E expert im sure.......please try to put your name and car model in the signature area...it helps us when you ask questions in the future...all the best... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
tombrookscomms
Great Britain

#4 Re: Tom's Series III 2+2 Coupe Restoration

Post by tombrookscomms » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks all, appreciate it. I've just bought an original Workshop Manual which should help things along!
mgcjag wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 am
Hi Tom....welcom to the forum...you could possibly be our youngest owner...great project you have there and by the time youve finnished you will be a E expert im sure.......please try to put your name and car model in the signature area...it helps us when you ask questions in the future...all the best... Steve
Thanks for this Steve. I've updated my signature to reflect this!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#5 Re: Tom's Series III 2+2 Coupe Restoration

Post by Barry » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 am

Welcome Tom! It’s great to see a younger member on this Forum, as I often wonder where the next generation of classic car owners are coming from. Values don’t help, that’s for sure. I am a V12 OTS owner, and if you need any help or advice, then please get in touch. As Geoff and Steve have said, this is a great forum, with some good friendly banter, help and advice. There are also opportunities to meet up. Over the past couple of months, I have been to Angus Moss’ garage, and only a week ago, many of us went up to SNG Barrett in Bridgnorth. Good luck with your car, and enjoy!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
tombrookscomms
Great Britain

#6 Re: Tom's Series III 2+2 Coupe Restoration

Post by tombrookscomms » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Barry wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 am
Welcome Tom! It’s great to see a younger member on this Forum, as I often wonder where the next generation of classic car owners are coming from. Values don’t help, that’s for sure. I am a V12 OTS owner, and if you need any help or advice, then please get in touch. As Geoff and Steve have said, this is a great forum, with some good friendly banter, help and advice. There are also opportunities to meet up. Over the past couple of months, I have been to Angus Moss’ garage, and only a week ago, many of us went up to SNG Barrett in Bridgnorth. Good luck with your car, and enjoy!
Thanks very much indeed Barry, I really do appreciate that. Great to know that there's opportunities to meet up too, certainly worth bearing in mind!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic