Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
71 V12
Great Britain

#1 Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Post by 71 V12 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

My oil pressure sender unit is failing and giving wildly varying readings on the gauge. It has been playing up for some time and I am confident it is the notoriously unreliable sender unit.

Decided I will replace the OE system with the Smiths mechanical/ capillary gauge.

As mine is an early car the electrical sender unit is located in that almost impossible to locate position on the left bank behind the rear manifold. Given the hassle envolved in removing the old unit does anyone know of an alternative block tapping to screw the capillary tube fitting into? Ideally as near as possible to an existing bulkhead grommet to pass the pipe through.

Hopefully someone has got a neat solution.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

driver
Great Britain

#2 Re: Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Post by driver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 am

Hi Rob Gill here,
If you put the front end on axle stands it is accsessible to change this switch,it is a bit fiddley though.
I had this problem when i first had my s3. I have found with a manual this forum and patience/persiverance most jobs can be done.
I brought my s3 in April 2016 in this time i have stripped all exterior trim,chrome, rubbers, light, and locks, and interior,changed it to right hand drive,had it painted,i then re trimmed it.With the help of the previously
mentioned aids.
I then removed auto gearbox to replace front seal,without taking engine out.
The point i am making is just because it an e/type dont be put off,that s the advice i was given when i brought my car . And by the way i am still struggling and learning with every new job i do! :wink:
All the best Rob Gill
v12 etype 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#3 Re: Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Post by MarekH » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:36 am

Perhaps one of the easiest ways is to purchase a spare bolt for one of the oil gallery plugs and drill and tap it.

Another idea would be to look at how the later engines had their senders at the back of the V" and relocate there with the appropriate second hand spare parts from a scrap yard, without any need to alter the current setup.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
71 V12
Great Britain

#4 Re: Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Post by 71 V12 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you Rob and Marek for your replies. Some useful advice from you both, much appreciated.

I think tapping into a gallery plug is the way to go, I will survey the options for the best location.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic