tyre pressure

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
fjafulton
Great Britain

#1 tyre pressure

Post by fjafulton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 am

my series 3 keeps clipping the exhaust on anything even getting close to a bumpy road , and I have checked that the suspension is set up correctly.

Could i bit of extra pressure in the tyres as they do look a little under pressured at 28/30, but finding out the correct setting has proven very difficult, thinking of trying 32 / 35 to see how it works.

the tyres are riken 710 tyres 205/70 r15

they were not fitted by me and i probably should changed the tyres, but they are quite new.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: tyre pressure

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi..welcom to the forum...whats your name...please try to put it in the signature area with your car year/ model....according to the S3 Jag manual there should be a measurement of 7.9in +- 0.25 between the bottom of the plate of the IRS to ground....check this first.....if low then you need to check bushes/springs..could aslo be you exhaust is hanging too low...i think you should be on 32 psi all round
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: tyre pressure

Post by malcolm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:37 am

I understand that a quite a few E's are around with the wrong exhaust hangers fitted, meaning they will ground. Worth checking.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

42south
New Zealand

#4 Re: tyre pressure

Post by 42south » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 pm

hi
Definitely have a look at your mounting of the underbody mufflers and exhaust pipes. Make sure the mufflers are right up in the cavities. And check they are the same oval shape as the OEM mufflers, I'm assuming someone has replaced them at some stage.
The pipes where they go under the IRS should have a flattened upper surface to help the clearance, this means the mufflers rear lower edge will be higher.
These were the problems with my car, no probs now, and our roads are rough down here, I run the jag recommended pressures of 24 front and 28 rear. My tyres are 225/60/15 which are 1/2 an inch smaller diameter than yours
One other thing. do make sure the measurement under the IRS is correct as per the manual. I have got Konis on my car, with new springs, but still had to have alloy spacers made up to fit under the springs to bring the ride height up to spec.
Cheers
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype
When my ship comes in it will probably be at the airport.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

morganjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: tyre pressure

Post by morganjag » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:20 pm

I am getting rear tyre squeal if turning right on a rounderbout , wondering wether i should drop tyre pressure from figure in book , or maybe the tyres have hardened and are now usless for grip ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#6 Re: tyre pressure

Post by JJC » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:31 pm

One trick is to keep relatively fresh rubber O rings to hold up exhaust. Also, after replacing them, tie them up in the middle with a small tie wrap. Keeps them from slipping off, and gets you just a tinny bit more clearance. I use 215 /70/15 on my car for years...never a problem.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic