Heritage Throttle body injection

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
morganjag
Great Britain

#21 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by morganjag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Reprogrammable ECU is the translation of 'megasquert' , which is the same as any other re programmable ECU eg Emerald or MBE which are trade names . The point is that ECU's are better at running engines than no ECU which is e-types with original spec carbs etc and putting throttle bodies on instead of carbs gives very precise fuel and air into the piston . The biggest problem with changing to ECU's and TB's is COST ! And the car is no longer original obviously and another possible problem is underbonnet clearance !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

timhum
Great Britain

#22 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by timhum » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Marek,
From what I understand Megasquirt is the control system for a fuel injection set-up as is Emerald etc. Emerald for example don't supply the fi set-up and Jenvey say that a controller is needed with their heritage throttle bodies; they state that the Emerald system is one system that can be used with their hardware. Can I ask you what fi equipment you are using on your e type in conjuction with the megasquirt control box?
thanks
Tim
Tim
1965 S1 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#23 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by MarekH » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Dear Tim,

I am running Megasquirt MS3

It runs the fuel injection sequentially for petrol and separately again for lpg using peak and hold drivers which I designed and built

It runs separate ignition maps for petrol and for lpg

It runs the idle valves, monitors the coolant, air and fuel in various places around the engine, exhaust gas temperatures per cylinder, multiple air fuel ratio sensors and anything else that is electronic like warning lights and temperature gauges and it datalogs all of these.

Unlike many or most ECUs, every single item is user configurable and there is still plenty of room for expansion using the built in CAN network capability.

Take a look at Tunerstudio and Megalogviewer (both are free) to see the range of access you'll have into the ECU.

Hardware wise I have the 1992-1994 Jaguar v12 fuel rail with low impedance injectors for petrol and Keihin lpg injectors.

There are pictures on the jag-lovers.com website.
See http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_vi ... 1320597978
and other photo albums, some of which are now out of date.

Whatever you chose to do - make sure you document it. I have a ring binder full of properly written out documentation covering wiring harnesses to sensor calibrations. None of it is complicated if you read this supplementary manual and follow the diagrams.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

timhum
Great Britain

#24 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by timhum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 am

Much appreciated Marek,
Tim
Tim
1965 S1 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisCtype
Great Britain

#25 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by ChrisCtype » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 pm

I looked at the heritage TB's as they were first thought of by Northampton Motor Sport who convert actual Webers into TB's, but for my C type I wanted something a bit more period so Ive converted triple SU's to be TB's

I have also machined the flywheel to now have 36-1 timing marks so these are hidden from view
Chris
Series 2 FHC, + C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#26 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by bitsobrits » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:05 am

Very nice. Very period looking.

Do the injectors insert from below?
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#27 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:26 am

ChrisCtype wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 pm
...but for my C type I wanted something a bit more period so Ive converted triple SU's to be TB's
I have also machined the flywheel to now have 36-1 timing marks so these are hidden from view
Seems odd to want period appearance but choose a carb setup that C-types never used? Cs came with either twin SUs or triple Webers. It’s nice to see someone else using a period-correct air box though. Have you got a picture of the modified flywheel?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisCtype
Great Britain

#28 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by ChrisCtype » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:43 am

Bitsobrits yes to answer your question they are hidden underneath

I did wonder if I posted on here if I would get criticised :banghead: , I did say I wanted period appearance not tool roomcopy, but hopefully you like it as you not stated the obvious that they are 1.3/4" but bored out now to 2"

here is the flywheel showing 36-1
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#29 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by angelw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:19 am

In terms of balance, that looks to be quite an amount of material removed at a large diameter for the main index mark. Did you have the flywheel balanced after the index marks were machined?

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisCtype
Great Britain

#30 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by ChrisCtype » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:06 am

Bill, yes the flywheel is and has been balanced, good job I'm an engineer :wink:
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#31 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by Gfhug » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 am

Honestly, it's "I are a engineer" :roll: :bigrin:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#32 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:19 pm

“Seems odd...” is hardly a scarifying indictment Chris, but if it upset you, I do apologise.

Glad you posted a photo though, because it’s not what I expected so I have a few genuine questions:

I thought you’d machine it on the blank circumference adjacent to the teeth on the ring gear and mount the sensor radially pointing inwards through the bell housing. How do you mount the sensor with that tooth arrangement - radially pointing outwards or axially pointing backwards? Have you mounted it under the block where the sheet metal dirt shield attaches?

Is it a dual-drilled flywheel and you registered on the unused set of pressure plate holes?

Is the car based on a Realm kit? I like their Cs better than their Ds even though the lattter are the only ones I’ve actually owned. The tubular C frame and bulkeads look more period inside and under the bonnet than their D chassis, which was originally a Cobra kit. I’m a sucker for competition style pared-down machinery, two-wheeled or four.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisCtype
Great Britain

#33 Re: Heritage Throttle body injection

Post by ChrisCtype » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:09 pm

You can't mount radially pointing the sensor out as it would not pick up on the teeth (as these are machined into the flywheel) unless there is a 90 degree sensor somewhere but I'm not aware, so the answer is the sensor is axially mounted but under the starter pointing backwards

Yes the flywheel is dual drilled

you are correct my kit is a Realm, and as you say the chassis was loosely based on the cobra but was developed by another company

Well if you are a sucker for quick machinery then I have another which is a Westfield with a 1.6 Ecoboost 229bhp 265lbft torque so at approx 500kg is a seriously quick car
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic