FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

JJC
United States of America

#21 Re: FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Post by JJC » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:43 am

I use the same pump for years. No problems. Car runs perfect in every way. Puts out around 3 lbs. Easy to purchase, inexpensive, easy to install, and never, ever have a problem with my SU's, which I started using over 20 years ago. I use the car almost every day....runs like a dream.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
TiltyV12
Great Britain

#22 Re: FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Post by TiltyV12 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Guys , I have now road tested the V12 with new pump fitted ( Power max Electronic Fuel Pump ) ,
All works OK but very noisy in use , is this normal ? Is the O.E much quieter in operation ?

Many Thanks Brian.
Brian Tilt
USA import 1973 automatic series 3.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#23 Re: FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Post by Heuer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes. I threw away a Facet that a PO had fitted to my FHC because the noise was unbearable. The SU pumps just quietly tick away as Jaguar expected. As for reliability the electronic SU pump in my OTS has worked perfectly for 40,000 trouble free miles. Best avoid the mechanical version which will work well provided the car is regularly run, something most of us don't do over winter.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#24 Re: FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Post by JJC » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 pm

The pump I use, and suggested (Name and part# mentioned earlier) has never been a problem, not for many year, many many miles. Put out about 3 lbs, I believe. Works great !!

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

#25 Re: FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Post by Woolfi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

I have mounted this pump from Hardi , modell 18812 in my EV12 6,0L. The presure and the amount of fuel per hour are okay. The pump works well since 8 years. It is also used for boat-motors of VAG.

Regards Wolfgang Gatza

https://www.hardi-automotive.com/produk ... 0ps-kopie/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xroyalnavy
Great Britain

#26 Re: FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Post by xroyalnavy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:06 am

Hi all, interesting discussion on the fuel pumps... I have had my 1973 S3 2+2 for over 20 years and recently had a need to investigate fuel flow. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that a six cylinder, (single ended) SU fuel pump was in the car!! It had powered the car all that time only needing an occasional tap with a hammer to get it going if I had not used the car for a few weeks. I had gone on long trips >300 miles without issue at highish speed. Turns out the pump was still functioning well but I have replaced it with the correct SU electronic pump version. My real issue was old fuel and a sticky float. I also have SU's carburetors fitted that have less than 500 miles on them. Now with fresh fuel flowing the car is running perfectly again and is begging for more action.
Peter
North Carolina
1966 3.4 S-Type RHD MOD
1973 Ser3 E-Type 2+2 Manual
1974 Triumph TR6
1990 XJS Convt
1991 Range Rover GDE
1995 Jaguar XJ12
1997 Lotus Esprit V8
2010 Jaguar XKR Coupe
2012 Range Rover Autobiography

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#27 Re: FUEL PUMP XKE 1971

Post by JJC » Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 am

Never had a problem with the pump I use...no flooding, no fuel starvation...nothing. Works like a charm, easy to install....room next to the spare for an extra....but have never used it. I think the SU has long since out lived its usefulness. Great in its day......but its day has gone. Not a fan for keeping MY car as it left the factory for a show. I get a thrill out of making MY car safer, more efficient, handle better, run cooler, stop shorter, make it more visible at night , and last but not least, fitting a rocking modern stereo system (discretely) to listen to as I cruise down a winding road in the greatest car for cruising ever built, the magnificent Jaguar E-Type OTS. Part of the enjoyment is all the old parts I replaced over the last 44 years, yet still kept the beauty in tact ! Think of your E as a aging woman who might get a nip or tuck just to keep her beauty ......yea....my kind of girl........my kind of car !!

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic