E type series 2 2+2 same shell as E type V12 ????

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
johnj
Australia

#1 E type series 2 2+2 same shell as E type V12 ????

Post by johnj » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 am

Can anyone tell me Is the series 2 2+2 E type shell the same as a V12 e type
I know the bulkhead is different and outer 1/4 Panels but is floor pan and tunnel also rear suspension mounts and dimensions the same ??
could one be used to restore a V12

Any help input greatly appreciated

Cheers John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#2 Re: E type series 2 2+2 same shell as E type V12 ????

Post by JJC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Happy New Year ! I have a series 3 open top, which way back when, was built, as we all know, on the long wheel base 2+2. That being said, if you have a series 2 to pick clean during your series 3 re-build, no doubt you will have a treasure-trove of parts. As you have stated, certainly things like the quarter's won't work because of the flair's, and the opening intake of the nose very different. But the rest of the car will work fine....such as floors, as you have mentioned. I believe the doors, all 3 of them, will work. Certainly seats are the same, and quite a bit of trim around the interior can be made to work. Instrument panel, glove box , etc. I believe it will all come down to the economics of it all. If you can purchase the series 2 as a parts car, at a parts car price, you can pick it clean, then sell whats left to another eager buyer who might be restoring a series 2 and would be interested in buying whats left. Good luck!

John
NYC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnj
Australia

#3 Re: E type series 2 2+2 same shell as E type V12 ????

Post by johnj » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

Hi John,

Happy new year to you ,

Thanks for your reply, the series 2 shell i have been offered is just a shell completly stripped exept rear hatch .
AS my series 3 is a roadster hatch is not much use, but i am keen to measure up the possibility of using floor pan etc
The series 2 is a rust free shell originally from California and has made its way to Australia,
My series 3 is from philidelphia so has major rust issues, I was hoping to find a solid series 3 shell but so far no luck, so this is my best option at present if it will work not sure if it will as i think rera floor were trailing arms fit are different,

Regards John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#4 Re: E type series 2 2+2 same shell as E type V12 ????

Post by JJC » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Might be cheaper and easier to just buy floor panels from the usual suspects. Good luck. I have had my Series 3 open top since new...greatest car ever !

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic