Strombergs just refurbed but noticed a click in the dashpot

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Yeldaw
Great Britain

#1 Strombergs just refurbed but noticed a click in the dashpot

Post by Yeldaw » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi I have just had my carbs rebuilt and noticed when I remove the dashpot piston damper on one of the carbs and refit it I can here a click. I think it is the carb piston moving and may suggest the jet on the carb is not correctly centred. The movement is probably only 2 or 3 mm but this does not happen on any of the other carbs. Is this normal until rebuilt carbs bed in or should I query this with the mechanic. The car seems to run ok
Dave
1972 S3 2+2 with HE V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#2 Re: Strombergs just refurbed but noticed a click in the dashpot

Post by jagwit » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:03 pm

1) Can you describe more accurately WHEN you hear the click?
2) After hearing the click, if you again remove the damper and re-install it, do you hear it again?
3) Can you look into the carb port while you do this to see if anything is moving when you hear the click? (air filters removed)
4) Are you pressing hard on the top plastic knob when you hear this click? (it should go in all by itself although rather slowly)
5) if you stick your finger into the carb port and lift the air valve, and then slowly and gently let it down, does it go all the way down?
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 S3 XKE, 74 S3 XKE OTS, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Yeldaw
Great Britain

#3 Re: Strombergs just refurbed but noticed a click in the dashpot

Post by Yeldaw » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:24 pm

It sounds like the same click you get when you remove the dashpot damper and lift and release the carb piston and let it go through the carb port. It only does it once after you have run the car and stopped. I looked through the carb port and there seems to be movement of a fraction of less than a millimetre as if the piston has n’t quite returned to the bottom. There is no fuel leakage and the car seems to run ok so I think it is probably ok.
Thanks
Dave
Dave
1972 S3 2+2 with HE V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic