Oil leak automatic gearbox

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Djerome60
France

#1 Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by Djerome60 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 am

Hi everyone,

after the first 100 miles with my newly restored serie 3 2+2 the little leak i had on my BW 12 is getting bigger. I initially thought it was coming from the oil sump and it's why i have ordered the aluminium conversion kit but i have just found out that the leak is coming from the kickdown solenoid connector.
My question is therefore : can i change the seal of the connector without getting the GB out? I believe that i can get access from the bottom if i remove the valve block? (can i remove the valve block without any specific tools)

Many thanks in advance
Regards
Jérôme
Regards
Jérôme

E type Series 3 - 2+2 1972
Peugeot 304 Cab 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#2 Re: Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by lowact » Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Djerome60
France

#3 Re: Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by Djerome60 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Many thanks.
I have actually an hard version of this manual but in this case it does not really help.
Nevertheless i found out that the connector mentionned can be accessed from the bottom by removing the oil sump.
I'll do the operation once i would have received the new oil sump and connector seal and i'll post some picture if it can benefit someone else.
Regards
Jérôme
Regards
Jérôme

Peugeot 304 Cab 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Djerome60
France

#4 Re: Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by Djerome60 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:21 am

Hi everyone,

i found the leak it was indeed coming from the connector but it was not the O ring but the connector itself which was broken.
I fix it with a speacial Loctite sealant as interim solution and works fine.
No more leak.

Regards
Jérôme

Peugeot 304 Cab 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Colin
Great Britain

#5 Re: Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by Colin » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:25 pm

Hi Guys
This old chestnut again I'm afraid BW12 Auto Gearbox leaking fluid
Have suffered all of the above exactly same as the originator of the thread Dejerome60 - newly rebuilt box 2 new genuine Jaguar cork gaskets etc - new second Hand oil sump - glued the gasket to the sump open a flat surface before fitting - Checked all of the obvious places such as kick down switch etc as shown by Dejerome60 all ok. Used tiger seal - also coated the cork gasket in varnish (apparently a Jaguar bulletin suggests this ??). Now down to last but one resort. Has anybody used the rubber type gasket made out of Duraprene offered by SC Parts. Not cheap at £32.00. (they refer to it as uprated)

Last resort is an aluminium sump circa £1200

https://www.scparts.co.uk/thumbnail/2c/ ... 0x1920.jpg

Asking if anybody has had issues using this uprated seal let me know otherwise I will give it a try and advise the outcome

Thanks Guys

Colin W
S3 V12 73 2+2
V12 Series III 2+2 1973

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kashma77
Germany

#6 Re: Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by kashma77 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:16 pm

Djerome60 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:21 am
Hi everyone,

i found the leak it was indeed coming from the connector but it was not the O ring but the connector itself which was broken.
I fix it with a speacial Loctite sealant as interim solution and works fine.
No more leak.

Hello Jérôme,
congrats for fixing the issue, where in france are you from ? maybe we can take a spin together, I live in Annecy :bigrin:
kindly regards
Ralf
1972 Jaguar E-Type Series 3 V12 Coupe
1974 Porsche 911 2,7 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Captain Caveman
Great Britain

#7 Re: Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by Captain Caveman » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:18 am

Hi
I’ve tried both type of gaskets and have stayed with the cork type using Victor Reinz gasket sealant. Not because of the cost, but found the cork to be adequate when installed correctly.
I have the original unrestored auto transmission with 56000 miles and original sump pan.
I had a slight oil leak on the right hand side which ran along the length of the sump pan gasket edge and would drip onto the right hand exhaust pipe, so I’ve tried both options during this.
I found the kickdown switch had very slight movement on the outside but wasn’t sure if it was an acceptable amount of movement due to “originality”/age as it’s not secured in place and there was little oil under it.
I removed the sump pan, disconnected the electrical connection to it and removed from the casing (easy to do on a ramp). The “o” ring rubber was slightly hard and slightly loose, but not bad for its age.The switch condition was okay so I replaced the seal ring. Fitted a cork gasket with Victor Reinz and it’s been dry since.
Best regards
Mark
Dec 1971 S3 2+2
:wavegreatbritain:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Colin
Great Britain

#8 Re: Oil leak automatic gearbox

Post by Colin » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:58 am

Hi Guys
Thank very much for responding

Kashma77 - I don't think it is the kick down switch is leaking. I have felt all around and above the sump pan and can see no signs of any fluid running down, however in light of what Mark said I will investigate that again. The box was recently rebuilt so I would assume (probably wrongly) that all of the seals would have been replaced.

Mark - My symptoms are exactly the same as yours RHS of sump drips onto the RH exhaust pipe. The drip appears to develop after shutdown and is a small drip but eventually stops.

The car is still undergoing restoration so I am not able to get it out on the road and get it properly hot so that's not helping as it may seal itself (Wishful thinking)

I'll try the rubber seal with a cork backup as options are running out. I currently have 14 hex bolts and washers securing the sump but I see from the parts manual Page 31.07/26.07 "10729" looks like a flanged bolt which are NLA. I am told that the bolts are UNC 5/16 x 1/2 so I have managed to get some from Westfield fasteners M8 x 12mm stainless these appear to spread the load better than bolt/washer. More often than not the bolts are overtightened and they distort the sump so will need to check that it is flat but I am on my new secondhand sump.

Ill look into the Victor Reinz as well

Thanks again guys will report back

Colin W
S3 V12 1973 2+2
V12 Series III 2+2 1973

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic