Series 3 Tail shaft housing wanted

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#1 Series 3 Tail shaft housing wanted

Post by colin gray » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi all, well this is a little strange but I find my self in need of a series 3 manual gearbox tail shaft housing.
I thought I had a rear gearbox oil seal leak but it still leaks oil and someone has been in there with an alloy welding torch all around the gearbox mounting boss so I now suspect the weld is porous. I would happily take a complete box if anyone out there that has done a five speed conversion has one in the shed. I have just fitted a 2.88 diff so don't want to over do the gearing by going five speed as well unless it is my only option. Barratt and the usual's list a new housing but do not sell them!!!!
Any 2+2 housing has the same part number so any 2+2 E type box should have the same housing according to the parts lists I have seen.
Thanks in anticipation. :helpsos:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 3 Tail shaft housing wanted

Post by colin gray » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I have this all sorted now and had it repaired by removing the tail shaft housing while the gearbox was in place by following the procedure elsewhere on this forum (The E type forum). I took the housing and had the seal opening welded as the previous welder had made such a terrible job of it that the oil was leaking past the outer edge of the seal. It is all back in and after approximately 50 mile seems to be fine.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 3 Tail shaft housing wanted

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Good news Colin...thanks for updating us... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc