Blowing Oil out of Dip Stick

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
John_Mann
Australia

#1 Blowing Oil out of Dip Stick

Post by John_Mann » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 am

Hi All,

Recently I noticed oil being blown out of my dip stick. This is in addition to oil coming out of my rear mains seal, which has subsided somewhat, since I cleared the bypass breather. The engine was fully rebuilt less than 5,000km ago but obviously the rear mains rope seal may not have been installed as effectively as it could have.
So just wondering what may be causing oil to blow out of the dip stick and indeed, if the dip stick itself is supposed to have some sore of seal against the dip stick tube, maybe an O-ring or felt washer?
Need to try and sort this out, short of removing the engine as it is making a bit of a mess after a run.

Cheers;
John Mann
1972 S3 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C
2007 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#2 Re: Blowing Oil out of Dip Stick

Post by JJC » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 pm

You guessed it.....in regards to dipstick hole venting oil. Its not sealing. Make sure its tight when you replace after checking your oil. Yours might need a small o ring...you will figure it out, no worries. As for the rear seal, try running on straight 30 wt for a while. Rear main will stop leaking after a while. The seal and 30 wt just seem to have a "working together" relationship. Not scientific, but I think you will see things dry up down there after running 30 wt, any 30wt, for a while. Happy Motoring !

John

1973 OTS original owner.
Driven every week for over 44 years.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Blowing Oil out of Dip Stick

Post by Heuer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Dipstick should have a felt washer but even without it oil should not be blowing out. Have you checked the crankcase breather system? Sounds like crankcase pressure is very high causing oil to push past the rope seal. Check the gauze filter in the breather housing.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
John_Mann
Australia

#4 Re: Blowing Oil out of Dip Stick

Post by John_Mann » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I just noticed that the rubber boot of the crank case breather at the front of the engine has a large split too. I guess that wouldn’t be helping as there wouldn't be any suction from the manifold occuring. I assume that is also paramount to help reduce any pressure build up in the crankcase, as opposed to just venting to the atmosphere?
Will replace that and make sure the breather is all nicely sealed back to the carbs, seal off the dip stick and see how that goes.

Cheers;
John Mann
1972 S3 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C
2007 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic