Topic author
Holeshot
Great Britain

#21 Re: Air conditioning experiences

Post by Holeshot » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi Ole.
Thanks for the reply.
My update is actually exactly along the lines of what you’ve said:
I’ve just bought an aluminium compressor as it was cheaper than getting my original one rebuilt.
Do you notice any benefits other than the obvious weight saving over the original?
Thanks again,
Hilton.
Hilton - V12 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
United States of America

#22 Re: Air conditioning experiences

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 am

Hi Hilton,
I have no comparison and can say that the old style heavy iron compressor does work as expected. Produces lots of cold air. Never tried the aluminium version.
...... Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Holeshot
Great Britain

#23 Re: Air conditioning experiences

Post by Holeshot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi Ole,
Thanks and sorry for my misunderstanding as I didn’t read your post properly and thought you’d used an ally compressor.
Glad your original one works well! :bigrin:

Will post up my impressions of my lightweight one when I finally get the funds to get the system rebuilt.

Til then, thanks for all the help.

Cheers, Hilton
Hilton - V12 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#24 Re: Air conditioning experiences

Post by Bob. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 am

Re RHD AC, this RHD (converted from LHD) is for sale in Australia but retains the original LHD AC kit. [/code]https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... ?Cr=8[code]. Anywhere near you Garry?

The only visible concession, apart from the fan intrusion in the footwell issue, appears to be that the ignition lock has been left in the LHD position i.e. to the right of the steering column with the loss of parcel shelf space. I am suprised that the steering column passes over the evaporator housing above the fan.

If it was this easy - and there is probably more to this conversion than meets the eye - why would Jaguar have paid Delaney Galley for tooling for a mirror image version of the evaporator for what was a relatively small RHD market for AC?

Bob

Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

garrycol
Australia

#25 Re: Air conditioning experiences

Post by garrycol » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 am

No this car is a long way from me - as you indicated this is still the left hand drive system where the one Holeshot has in his car is a RHD system that I have not seen before.

I agree that there was no real reason why RHD cars could not have had AC - numbers would have made it worthwhile.

On this car - a left hooker converted to RHD - not popular at all - if a Mustang or a Corvette still LHD would be OK but a brit car in Aust needs to be original RHD to get best price - with respect to the asking price, we have a saying " tell him he is dreamin".

Best to take back to the US and convert back to LHD and sell there.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

helge.kassel
Germany

#26 Re: Air conditioning experiences

Post by helge.kassel » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Hello from Seville,
if You are not totally concerned about orignality, have alook at www.retroair in the states. They offer aftermarket systems at a reasonable price. Otherwise You will have to pay Sng`s price. Another option could be a modern compresor from FourSeasons, they still make the type of GM A6 compresor, Jaguar installed.
best Regards
Helge
If You do it, do it right
1971 V12 Aut 2+2 with MX5 Seats :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic