5 speed gearbox series 3

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#1 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by colin gray » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 pm

I am just wondering about the Supra gearbox conversions, I have seen some W58 gearboxes available and just wondered if it is worth pursuing any further.
I am wondering if there are parts readily available to get the gear lever in the correct position? What is done for the gearbox mounting, for the prop shaft and will I need a bell housing adaptor to fit my manual bell housing? I am only considering five speed as a tail shaft housing has no materialised to repair my manual 4 speed box any advice is welcome. Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 am

Hi Colin....i have a Supra gearbox in a C type replica im building....the gear lever is approx 6in further back than the E type box including the adaptor plate thats needed.....this is why they are not used in E types...can give you photos or measurements if needed just PM me.....have you thought about a jaguar 4 syncro and compact overdrive..many used in 2+2 conversions.....i currently have one in the for sale section....lots of info on the forum about them..... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#3 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by angelw » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 am

Hello Colin,
Dellow in Sydney, Australia make various Gear Shift Housings and Bell Housings for the Supra Gearbox. Following is a link to their Web Site.

http://dellowconversions.com.au/

The exchange rate for you is good. Accordingly, I wouldn't be put off by the freight required from Australia to the UK.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gerry
Canada

#4 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by Gerry » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi Colin,might be worth checking with Realm Engineering they did do Supra based E type transmission conversion,they included a rebuilt gearbox and the gear lever came out in the correct spot

Regards Gerry 62 Ots.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:36 am

Hi Colin.....i have spoken to Realm as i have a Supra gearbox from them....Adrian told me that they have a conversion that would bring the gear lever forward to the E type position and a prop to match....give him a call on 01386 849116.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#6 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by andrewh » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm

And then there is the E type fabs box which could be an option?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#7 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by JJC » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:17 am

The Driven Man here in the US has the best 5 speed box, with all you need included . I have used one for over 10 years. Good people, and the 5 speed transforms the car !!

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#8 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by andrewh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 am

Ah ok, does he supply to the UK do we know?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#9 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by JJC » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Why wouldn't they ?? Just pay the shipping.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#10 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by AussieEtype » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:12 am

I would research feedback on the Driven Man product first as there are quite a few negative comments out there - positive comments as well but just enough negativity to make sure you will be happy with their product and services.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#11 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by JJC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:51 am

Gerry.....very true . Pro and con from many folks. However, anytime ANY product is mention, its going to be 50/50. Good wires, bad wires, good widget, bad widget, etc.., Have to factor in one important fact....how many of these well meaning folks actually used the product ?? I have Driven Man 5 speed in my car for over 10 years, and its perfect.

Happy Motoring !

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#12 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by AussieEtype » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:06 pm

What I read were comments from people who had actually bought the product and tried to fit it. There experiences were far more recent than your own.

I asked because I had them on my list and was researching them.

Cheers

garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#13 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by colin gray » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:22 am

mgcjag wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 am
Hi Colin....i have a Supra gearbox in a C type replica im building....the gear lever is approx 6in further back than the E type box including the adaptor plate thats needed.....this is why they are not used in E types...can give you photos or measurements if needed just PM me.....have you thought about a jaguar 4 syncro and compact overdrive..many used in 2+2 conversions.....i currently have one in the for sale section....lots of info on the forum about them..... Steve
Hi Steve, I had been led to believe the overdrive could be overcome by the torque of the V12 and had considered a Getrag five speed from a manual Jaguar. I would really like to fit just a new housing to the rear of my box having just fitted a 2.88 diff which has raised the gearing already. No one seems to have one or is willing to sell at a reasonable price. The only one I found available was second hand at £645 plus vat and Barratt list for a new one is £128 but they don't have any nor do any of the other suppliers. I don't mind paying for one but I don't want shafting. I figure by the time I pay VAT and carriage and recon my box on top of the £645 it won't be much further to a five speed in cost hence asking about the Supra box and other folks experiences. Thanks for the reply hope the C type is going well nice to have something unique to you personally as it will have thing done only the way you do them. good luck with it. colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#14 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by JJC » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:31 pm

True.....10 years ago. Alot can happen I suppose. Well, its always best to do one's homework. Good luck ! Its a great upgrade no matter how its achieved.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#15 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by colin gray » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:27 pm

There was me expecting to have to take off the bonnet and drag out the engine to play gearboxes.
I came across a thread on here saying you can take out the gearbox of a series 3 car without removing the engine.
Link to the thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12103&p=100557&hili ... al#p100557

This has led me to go ahead and attempt this feat with the aim of removing my rear gearbox oil seal, facing off the output flange sealing face then buying a smaller inside diameter seal from a seal supplier.
I am doing this as a precaution while I attempt to repair the tail shaft housing on my car due to finding out that the mounting boss has been drilled through to the top allowing oil to blow out of the rear of the gearbox.
My intended fix method is with some industrial grade Aluminium 2 pack putty.
At this stage I feel I have nothing to lose and all to gain, if it all fails and the leak persists I will fit a Broadsport five speed box with the benefit of already having had the experience of the dummy run to attempt the repair.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#16 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by JJC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 pm

On the other hand, one could reasonably assume, that if a business is still in business since I bought my product over 10 years ago, that they are doing a good job, and supporting the product. Driven Man sold me a hell of a product, works great, and always willing to respond when a question is asked. Good shop.

Would you rather get advice from someone who put the transmission in a year ago ? If folks had a problem with a supplier, I am sure if they reached out for help, a solution could be found.

Best of luck !

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#17 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by JJC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Colin and all Series 3, or long wheel base owners, as you know by now, as its been discussed many times, it is not necessary to remove engine to remove/replace gear box. Several hours with a lift and another set of intelligent hands. Have fun !

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#18 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by angelw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Colin Wrote:
This has led me to go ahead and attempt this feat with the aim of removing my rear gearbox oil seal, facing off the output flange sealing face then buying a smaller inside diameter seal from a seal supplier.
I am doing this as a precaution while I attempt to repair the tail shaft housing on my car due to finding out that the mounting boss has been drilled through to the top allowing oil to blow out of the rear of the gearbox.
My intended fix method is with some industrial grade Aluminium 2 pack putty.
Hello Colin,
I see that you made your last Post in early July; accordingly, you may well have attempted/completed the repair. If not, in my opinion, the Aluminium 2 Pack Putty is not going to be a long term fix. Given that a hole has been drilled right through the Mounting Boss, I would run a tapping size drill through the hole and continue the Thread all the way through (from memory, I believe the Thread is 9/16 UNF). Once done, screw a short grub screw as deep as it can go, using Loctite, or other sealant to seal against oil leakage.

When you refer to the flange sealing face, I assume you're referring to the OD of the Flange Boss the Gear Box Extension seal runs on? If so, an effective and quick method of repairing the seal surface is with a Speedi Sleeve. These are quite easy to install and the whole job will only take ten minutes or so to complete. Apart from the easy and timely manner the repair can be completed in, the other advantage is that the original size seal can be used.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#19 Re: 5 speed gearbox series 3

Post by JJC » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Colin: Contact the Driven Man in Tennessee, US. One stop shopping. Great product. One mans opinion. 5 speed , in an E-Type, BTW, is like Cindy Crawford with a push up bra...........just perfect !!

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic