classicfabs exhaust system

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
morganjag
Great Britain

#1 classicfabs exhaust system

Post by morganjag » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Anyone purchased the classicfabs v12 exhaust system , the sound and power increase look very interesting , ok its going to cost more than a standard system but that doesn't give those improvements as the sound is a little bit quiet !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#2 Re: classicfabs exhaust system

Post by JJC » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 pm

For years on my Series 3 OTS, I have used standard Jaguar , as originally fitted, mufflers, the ones directly under the cockpit with the hooks for the rubber retainer hoops, and then run straight pipes the rest of the way. All sorts of great looking exhaust tips available, totally up to your taste (start with ebay !). Any muffler shop doing business for more then a day, will have a very handy pipe-bender to fit the straight pipes from the muffler back. The sound is great, just a bit louder then the original set up . Looks great from the back of the car, because you have now eliminated the rust prone, totally useless, and absolutely ugly resonator from under the trunk. I have owned the car since water was invented, tried different systems in the early days, and found this to be the best looking, best sounding, and cost efficient system for the 12 cylinder Jag. One owners opinion.....remember what Mikee said, "try it.....you'll like it !"

BTW....when you replace the rubber hangers with fresh ones , which you should do often, put a tie-wrap around them....it will keep them from popping off, and you actually pick up just a hair more ground clearance.

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

42south
New Zealand

#3 Re: classicfabs exhaust system

Post by 42south » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi,
There are some question marks over the performance gains from these systems. Also some people don't like the tinnier sound from stainless steel.
If you search for posts from Woolfi he has done lots of work around carbs, bigger bore exhausts, and the advantages disadvantages of fitting EFI instead of carbs. He is very sceptical of any performance gains from some of the commercial products advertised.
I agree with JJ and have the same set up, Straight through under body mufflers of the same length as the originals, leading into slightly larger pipes, with no rear resonator. The sound on acceleration is terrific but not obnoxious, and not overly intrusive whilst cruising at around 2000rpm.
but as you will find as you delve into the concept further, you may need to adjust your mixture due to the increased airflow.
to avoid any exhaust scraping keep those underbody mufflers up tight in the cavities. If you put new outlet pipes in you will need to have them slightly flattened on the top surface where they pass under the IRS to keep your muffler clearance at the rear end.

Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#4 Re: classicfabs exhaust system

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:57 pm

I have the same set up as John and Mark.
Bought some highly polished stainless steel 2" pipe (my system is SS) and had the local muffler shop bend them to fit. Two bends to make the two pipes closer together and a final band to have them end horizontally.
I did use my original pipes from the two center mufflers and cut off the end muffler.
If needed (for whatever reason) I can re-fit the original end muffler, but I doubt I will. The sound without is so much better that stock.

1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#5 Re: classicfabs exhaust system

Post by Barry » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:36 am

Interesting to note that Classicfabs promote their V12 SS system to create a better “V12” exhaust note. There is no reference to power. Which many people will be looking for. I have an AJ6 Engineering TT Sports system on my 6.0 litre V12. Combined with fuel injection, AJ6 bigger throttle bodies as part of their Plus Torque kit yields 400bhp. Take no notice of everything Woolfi says! Roger Bywater says that by taking the middle boxes out, as many of you have done, yields about 15 bhp, as well as a better sound. One thing is for sure, the general advise from most experts is not to replace the manifolds, unless you go racing, which is a completely different ball game.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#6 Re: classicfabs exhaust system

Post by JJC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Hello all: Gang of smart fellow's here on this forum ! In no particular order......there is no advantage to changing manifolds....Jag actually did a great job for a street car. I absolutely love the look of those beautiful straight pipes !! My 2 cents worth of advice, as I stated in an earlier post, would be to leave the original center mufflers, and then run those beautiful pipes right out the back door ! Any pipe bender can do it. Just a bit louder, but nice sound. The original resonator under the trunk was a waste of time, rusted, and looked like an afterthought. My opinion. Now, horsepower gains .......not much is gained by fitting this system or that, unless you run the car at full throttle most of the time ! LOL Don't think that's going to happen. Most horsepower gains claimed are a marketing exercise, and who can blame them ! The Jaguar E-Type parts market is getting smaller and smaller as time marches on, sadly, inevitable. One other thing to consider......be careful not to alter the exhaust system radically......you always want to keep a good deal of back-pressure in the system (no pop-pop-pop) as you don't want to suck cold air up to your exhaust valves, as this will considerably shorten their life span !!! One mans thoughts . Happy Motoring !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
morganjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: classicfabs exhaust system

Post by morganjag » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 am

Have now had fitted the 4 pipe system minus manifold from Classicfabs and am very pleased , sounds fantastic and looks great , have my old system on the sale/wanted area.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic