Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Sdinse
United States of America

#1 Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by Sdinse » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:57 pm

I see that XKs Unlimited is offering a high performance sway bar kit for the series III that includes both front and rear. Apparently they have for some time now, but it wasn't until recently that I knew about it. No one else seems to sell anything like it that I know of. Anyone familiar with what sway bar can be fitted to the rear of a SIII? Is it from another model or something completely custom they have created on their own? I would love to fit one to my SIII for a bit more flatter cornering than the uprated front sway bar I installed many years ago provides.

Thanks,
Steve
1971 SIII E Type 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Steve,
you will find that some E-types had a rear sway bar fitted originally, but Jaguar deemed that it wasn't necessary on the S3.
Clausager's book on E-type factory originality doesn't mention a rear anti sway bar for the S3 at all. A quick flick through the S1 and S2 pages showed no mention of rear anti sway bars.
Cheers ....... Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#3 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by jagwit » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 pm

If anything, the rear sway bar from an XJS MIGHT work. Even on the XJS, they were not always fittted and, I believe, scarce.

My '80 pre-HE XJS does have a rear sway bar.
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 S3 XKE, 74 S3 XKE OTS, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#4 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by JagWaugh » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Try Harvey Bailey, they probably make them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Sdinse
United States of America

#5 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by Sdinse » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info everyone! After a bit more digging I see that SNG also offers a sway bar kit for the SIII and it consists of both the front and rear. There doesn't seem to be any offering of just the rear bar. I have already installed an uprated front bar many years ago and it has helped considerably. At that time I don't think anyone sold a rear kit.

The Harvey Bailey website doesn't have much information on it and considering I'm in California, the freight would most likely be more than it's worth.

I have an inquiry in to XKs Unlimited and maybe this coming week I'll hear from them. I'm also going to ask at SNG if they can sell just the rear portion of their kit. Time will tell!

Anyone else know anything about these seemingly rare anti roll bars? :questionmarks:
Steve
1971 SIII E Type 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#6 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Not ever original equipment on a Series 3 - I have seen modified XJS bars fitted but that was many many years ago.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#7 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by lowact » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 am

As a lad I played around with sway bars. Not on E's. I found that to avoid nasty suprises i shoud test settings when the road was wet. In particular, a too stiff rear bar could cause sudden loss of traction and chaotic oversteer. Cheaper solution was to run tyres at max pressure ...
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Sdinse
United States of America

#8 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by Sdinse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Update

I just heard from SNG this morning and they say they will only sell the complete kit. :sad:
Steve
1971 SIII E Type 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#9 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:58 am

I believe I read somewhere that the 2+2's (not S3's) got rear anti sway bars, but can not for the life of Mary remember where I read it.
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 pm

According to the parts manuals, all series 1 & 2 cars had rear anti roll bars.

I don't have the series 3 parts manual but I'll bet it's on here somewhere.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#11 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by MarekH » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:13 am

It isn't and they didn't, but you ought to be able to locate the captive nuts above the IRS where it would have bolted into the body as these are a legacy item still present in 1974.

Expect to alter the handling if you attempt to fit one, as it'll upset how the front grips the road, not just the rear's ability to roll.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mldwyer
United States of America

#12 Re: Rear Anti Sway Bar for SIII?

Post by mldwyer » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:30 pm

At the risk of getting flamed.
Handling is a balance between the weight distribution, center of gravity, roll center, tires (contact patch and grip), alignment, and the front and rear suspension on a vehicle. Most vehicles are set up from the factory with the ride and handling characteristics desired by the designers. The XKE is a fine handling car in stock form.

I have a 1970 fixed head coupe. It came stock with a front and rear sway bar. The specification (part #s) for for the 2+2 chassis are the same for the front bar but different for the rear bar. The wheel base is longer and the vehicle is heavier by about 70 pounds. The front to rear weight distribution is different.

The series 3 XKEs are the 2+2 chassis. They weighed in about 340 pounds more than my series 2 FHC. They were equipped with wider wheels and tires than the series 2. I have no direct knowledge if they were factory equipped with a rear sway bar or not. So, I will go with the OP's post and information previously posted here.

Assume the car is in balance in stock form. Modifying the suspension at only one end of the car will throw the balance off. Sway bars have an effect on the roll center of the vehicle. In a front engine / rear drive car the front sway bar is usually a larger diameter than the rear bar (if equipped with a rear bar.) If you increase the stiffness of the front bar, the balance will change. This can be mitigated by installing a rear bar, or increasing the stiffness of the rear bar. Not maintaining the front and rear balance in roll center could result in under or over steer. Suspension suppliers sell matched sets that take the change in stiffness into account.

Anecdotal storiy: In the early 1980s, my friend inherited a 1966 Chevy Bel Air 4 door sedan. It was a boat that wallowed in the turns and at any speed understeered dangerously. He was planning stiff springs and shocks as the cure. That probably would have produced a truck like ride. I convinced him to first try a set of sway bars. The stock front bar was very limp. We upgraded the front bar and added a rear bar. The result was a smooth, comfortable ride that was stable with much less lean through the corners. He left the stock springs and shocks as they were and he was happy.

I appreciate the ride quality, comfort and the cornering stiffness of the Jaguar.

Cheers,
Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic