oil pressure woes

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

JJC
United States of America

#21 Re: oil pressure woes

Post by JJC » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:22 pm

Chris: The tubing Smiths supplies with a mechanical gauge is pliable, but strong, black plastic tubing that will never leak or break. Allows you to snake tubing into the cockpit via any one of several holes in the firewall. No trick to it, once you have pushed it thru, run up to behind instrument door. FYI...mechanical gauge looks just like the one you have now, so no worries. As it is flexible, you can open and close panel all day long, no problem. Trick is to leave a little extra, don't pull tubing tight. Won't bother anything. Now you will have accurate , fool proof oil pressure at all times. I have used this tubing for years, as have others, and never a problem. FYI forget what the manual said 50 years ago....when engine is warmed up, and all systems go, you will get 10lbs of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm's. Plus or minus 10%. Happy motoring !

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ikebaddog
Great Britain

#22 Re: oil pressure woes

Post by Ikebaddog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

well, its taken me nearly 3 hours to get the oil pressure switch removed, what a bastard place to put it, had to cut a 14mm spanner in half to get on it!!! still its off now and a new one has been ordered off e-bay.
I also removed the black panel holding the brake fluid reservoir on, could do with de-rusting and painting, will go for a satin black finish.
John
S3 2+2 1971
Aston V8 Vantage 2006
Caterham Supersprint 1.7 1989
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris420sa
Great Britain

#23 Re: oil pressure woes

Post by chris420sa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:33 pm

JJ - many thanks for your responses of Dec 31, much appreciated.

I contacted Nisonger by email to ask them a few questions including whether their mechanical oil pressure gauge has the same range as my current (presumably original factory fit) electrical gauge, i.e. 0 to 80 psi Image. I received the following response: "Sorry, but currently we only offer the 60 & 100 PSI Electric Oil Press Gauges displayed in the XKE Oil Press Gauge section of our website.Thank you for your inquiry. Peter Bayer"
Could you please advise:
1. a supplier who offers the 0 to 80 psi range mechanical OP gauge,
2. if that psi range of gauge is not available, what range you would recommend,
3. the description of the fitting required to replace the current electrical sensor (mine is located to the rear of the throttle capstan mounting) for the connection to the mechanical gauge,and
4. any further advice which you may have.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#24 Re: oil pressure woes

Post by JJC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Very strange, as I got mine from those folks. I'll ask.

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris420sa
Great Britain

#25 Re: oil pressure woes

Post by chris420sa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:10 am

JC - many thanks. Look forward to hearing from you.
All the best
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic