Best Solution for Tidying Car up

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
215m3
Great Britain

#1 Best Solution for Tidying Car up

Post by 215m3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi all

I have been very fortunate to have the pleasure of looking after a V12 after my father can no longer drive and become it's new custodian. The car has sat for 3 years since it came back from a restorers call Flying Cat Engineers, not to be recommended. But that's another story.

As I go through the car, I will clean, repaint or replace what I can, but when it comes to wiring etc do I replace with period relevant parts or modern? I own a parts company that may have parts suitable. I have removed the battery and the earth wire has seen better days. Do replace with an exposed strap or a later covered? The car will never be a nut and bolt rebuild at the moment as I just want her to be driven.

I plan to upgrade the radiator and expansion tank to help with the overheating issues these cars can suffer.

That's it for now.
Toby
2010 RRS Overfinch GTS
E30 M3 Turbo
E34 M5 Trackcar
V12 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Best Solution for Tidting Car up

Post by malcolm » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:33 pm

If you're just trying to get the car driveable, as you say, then I don't think it matters what wiring/earth straps you use providing they are of good quality and do the job. Regarding overheating, I don't have a series 3, but I didn't think overheating was a problem on the series 3. It certainly isn't on my series 2 - I think it was mainly a series 1 issue.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MontanaDiver
United States of America

#3 Re: Best Solution for Tidying Car up

Post by MontanaDiver » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:08 pm

The engines seem to run at least in the upper end of the temp gage. Not hot but nearly always over half way.
My 74 E type had a nasty hot restart issue, mostly solved by updating the distributor to the SNG version. If you decide to do this you might want to ask this group if a nonUSA distributor would be a better way to go since the US version is a vacuum retard.
She starts much easier when sitting for 20 minutes after the engine is fully warmed up.

Good luck
Dennis
Dennis
74 E-type OTS 4 speed
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
Great Falls, Montana

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic