Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#1 Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by Mephistopheles » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 pm

I am still busy with the chrome trim around the headlamps. After successfully refurbishing eyebrows, I am faced with the next challenge in connection with chrome trim: the original left-hand inner headlamp moulding is dented, i.e. my intention has been to replace it by new spare part. However, the fitting of the new chrome moulding is as poor as it has been with new eyebrows (see topic eyebrows): neither curve shape nor curvature fits to the existing rivets on the sugar scoop to click in the moulding. :cussing:
Does anyone have the same experience with poor fitting new headlamp moulding and how to align it to the sugar scoop with existing rivets?
Thanks in advance
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rustyred
Australia

#2 Re: Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by Rustyred » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:27 am

I bought some new trims from a mob in the UK, and they dont even look like they will fit :banghead: , Im still battling with the old ones.
So Im feeling your pain.
Restoring 73 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#3 Re: Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by madjack4 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi ive fitted 2 sets of new chrome trims after a accident they need to be gently bent to shape like everything that you buy for a etype 95% of parts that come from the main suppliers are basically cheep crap made in china and the like but what alternative have we got its crap or nothing so we are lucky to be able to buy these parts otherwise our cars would not be repairable

Regards Rob
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by mgcjag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:54 am

"95% of parts that come from the main suppliers are basically cheap crap made in china and the like " ....l think a huge exaggeration ...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by Jeremy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:00 pm

A great number of parts I have bought from the main suppliers are neither cheap, nor cheep, nor crap, nor made in China; and to assert that 95% are just isn't fair or justified.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#6 Re: Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by Series1 Stu » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:53 pm

A touch dismissive, perhaps, but there is a grain of truth in it.

There are a lot of parts made in China, I know this to be true. They certainly aren't cheap though.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#7 Re: Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by madjack4 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi over the last 6 years since buying my e type in usa then importing it in to the uk i have spent approximately 32k on parts. Out of the parts i have bought i have had to cut,grind,bend and reshape most of them i am in the motor trade so work on cars every day i am afraid most people on this forum may fit the odd part i have rebuilt my car twice after no fault accidents i got a jaguar heritage front wing at around £1000 it was only fit for skip so out of shape 3 years ago i got a heritage full bonnet the mountings for the headlights were welded in the scoops out of square by 10mm its a joke bumpers need to be ground to shape oil pressure senders work for 6 hours before failing that is just a few parts that come to mind i use my e type at least 4 times a week normally things dont last having said that in the 70s all parts were poor we forget how far we have come in the last 40 odd years but we should expect better than what we get
Regards Rob
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#8 Re: Headlamp / sugar scoop chrome mouldings

Post by Mephistopheles » Wed May 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Deal all,
Unfortunately I have to confirm disappointment with chrome parts for E Type. I always buy from well-known suppliers. However, I have never enjoyed chrome trim parts fitting well without more of less efforts in aligning them to the car. Thus, refurbishing old but original parts is my preferred solution. Stupid only, if that‘s not possible due to old parts being too broken...

Regards
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic