Suspect voltage regulator

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Ikebaddog
Great Britain

#1 Suspect voltage regulator

Post by Ikebaddog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi, new fault has developed on the Series 3, after starting the fan belt will squeal if engine is above 1500 rpm, and the voltmeter in the car goes full deflection, this lasts for about 2-4 minutes, then the belt stops squealing and the volts drop to normal, its as though there is a load on the alternator, but putting an actual load on it ... lights, heater fan, wipers etc, makes no difference, it only happens after starting ( not always, but getting more frequent ), and never recurrs after dropping back to normal, fan belt is correct tension... could the regulator be "demanding" too much load from the Alternator???
John
S3 2+2 1971
Aston V8 Vantage 2006
Caterham Supersprint 1.7 1989
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#2 Re: Suspect voltage regulator

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Depending on the age of the belts, they might have gone hard and every time they squeal, they’ll get more “glazed” and slippery. Mine are 9 years and 5k miles old and does the same, but it goes away immediately after start up. Maybe some friction spray, new belts, ear plugs or leave it ?
Cheers ..... Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#3 Re: Suspect voltage regulator

Post by Paul Buckley » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Quote:
"Hi, new fault has developed on the Series 3, after starting the fan belt will squeal if engine is above 1500 rpm, and the voltmeter in the car goes full deflection, this lasts for about 2-4 minutes, then the belt stops squealing and the volts drop to normal, its as though there is a load on the alternator"

Ole, do you have voltmeter deflection while the belt is squealing ?

I have a similar squeal but it only concerns the hydraulic pump whose belt squeals with full steering lock, obviously loading the pump.

Cheers

Paul
Paul

1972 S3 OTS, 32k mls, a survivor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#4 Re: Suspect voltage regulator

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Paul,
sorry for not answering sooner.
I don't think so. My fan belt only squeal when I stab the accelerator, not at steady RPM, sorry no help there.
Cheers ........ Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#5 Re: Suspect voltage regulator

Post by cactusman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Squealing belts suggest either incorrect tension or badly worn. The battery voltage should settle to around 14 volts or so between the terminals once started. Anything above 15 volts and I would suspect a faulty regulator. Measure the battery voltage with a multimeter as it will be more accurate and quicker to respond too.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic