Rear engine mountig

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
flyer295
Great Britain

#1 Rear engine mountig

Post by flyer295 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:43 pm

I thought the rear engine mounting was wrong, and I soon found out that it was a soon as I drove it. Trouble is, I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to look like.
Anyone got a picture of the underside showing the rear engine mounting. Workshop manual's not helpful.

Bob
Bob.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear engine mountig

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Bob....see similar topic below.....good diagram shown in second post.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
flyer295
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear engine mountig

Post by flyer295 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks Steve, but it doesn't help me
I'm at the end of my rebuild and when I drove it it was banging against the tunnel.
Checking it I realised that when I fitted it didn't have the rubber bush in it at all. Thought it looked odd when I originally fitted it.
Purchased a new bush from SNG. The first thing I noticed is that the hole in the bush is almost 3mm larger than the spacer. Incidentally I have 2 of them. Are there meant to be, book says only one. Each one is 25mm long. One appears to be too short and 2 too long.
Also the bottom washer I'm suspicious of. It has a 13mm hole and 41mm o/d, 3.25mm thick. Is this correct?
Bob
Bob.
Bob.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rear engine mountig

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 am

Hi Bob...this was the post i refer to...it has a diagram of the mount...does it not help?.... http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14440
https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british ... mting.html
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
flyer295
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rear engine mountig

Post by flyer295 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:03 am

Not really Steve,
The trouble is I'm not sure if I've got the correct parts. I've checked with SNG but they're not engineers. and the bottom washer is no longer available, so unable to check it.
Do you know how long that spacer that fits into the top washer is supposed to be? I have 2 identical ones, but the book and SNG say there should only be one and they measures 25mm.
I have now pressed the mounting bush into the support bracket but still fail to see how this works as the spacer is about 20mm down in the bush and with 2 spacers about 3mm out of the bush. The hole in the washer is 13.5mm with an o/d of 41mm. Are these the correct washer/spacer(s)?
The spring and the seats are not a problem and I've not shown them in the pics. :helpsos:

Bob.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rear engine mountig

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi Bob...as far as im aware your only going to use one spacer the parts list and diagrams ony show one..the spacer is i think just acting as a sleeve......have you seen photos in this post http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=117059#p117059
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
flyer295
Great Britain

#7 Re: Rear engine mountig

Post by flyer295 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Even more confused now !!
He used 2 spacers with a special washer in between them. The bottom washer has about 6/8 mm hanging out the bottom before the bottom washer and nut is fitted. I'm positive that isn't right as the washer will wear the rubber bush out in no time flat.
Bob.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic