Door seal

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
MLBS3V12
France

#1 Door seal

Post by MLBS3V12 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 am

Hi,
I've placed back the first door on the body after painting. Happy with the gap at the front :bouncyyellow: :

But on the seal side, I'm wondering if it is normal to get the door so open and very hard to close.

I'm wondering if the rubber is not of poor quality, too hard. :shrug:
What do you think :?:
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Door seal

Post by MarekH » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 am

Dear Michel,

You haven't stated which door seal you are talking about or whether you have even refitted the striker plate and door latch.

You need to work from front to back, seal by seal to get this right. Search the archives on this site and/or on jag-lovers.com as this has been covered before. Properly adjusted, you can get the door to shut under its own weight from a gap of just one handspan, but it is a lot of work as each seal goes in one by one, until you find and fettle each piece to fit perfectly before moving further away from the hinge each time.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#3 Re: Door seal

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:40 am

Apart from what Marek correctly points out, I would personally leave the doors off while installing the interior.
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#4 Re: Door seal

Post by Jeremy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:01 am

I assume your seals are the softer ones (which I believe all the usuals now supply, certainly SNG and M&CW do) made by COH Baines?
You should also give them time to compress with the doors shut. Mine got much easier after a few weeks.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Door seal

Post by Jeremy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:04 am

And you won't know how it's going to work until you give the door the correct weight and momentum by fitting lock, winder, glass etc.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alejandrovilacha
Spain

#6 Re: Door seal

Post by alejandrovilacha » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:10 pm

I have the same problem, my doors are very difficult to close, All the rubbers are new, I bought the kit it in sng barratt. Does anyone have a link where they explain how they are placed?

greetings from Spain

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Door seal

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:34 am

Hi...S3 parts catalogue details seal location......if you dont have one then look in the knowledge base section there is one there....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris420sa
Great Britain

#8 Re: Door Top Chrome Series 3 2+2

Post by chris420sa » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Can you please advise regarding:
1. How many rivets are required to fix the door top chrome in position and how are they spaced?
2. How many screws are required to fix the same door top chrome in position and where is it/they located?
3. Are there supposed to be one/two or no small screws in the upper rear part of the door frame holding the window frame in position (in addition to the brackets to front and rear of the base of the door frame)? My car has these but I'm not convinced they are original, or required given the frame fixings to the upper and lower parts of the door.
4. I can't seem to get hold of the special rivets ("cup and rivet" - BD26706/3) from the usual suppliers - any ideas as to where these can be purchased?
5. Similarly for the window regulator inner and outer foam seals (BD29101 and BD24952/4)
I have ordered new door assemblies and will shortly be dry fitting them, hence these questions.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards
Chris
Chris Davies
1972 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#9 Re: Door seal

Post by angelw » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:50 am

Hello Chris,
1. How many rivets are required to fix the door top chrome in position and how are they spaced?
Four - see pictures below for spacing. The spacing in the pictures are incremental starting from the very front most hole. The very front most hole uses a screw to secure the front end of the chrome moulding, not a rivet clip.

2. How many screws are required to fix the same door top chrome in position and where is it/they located?
One - at the very front most hole.
3. Are there supposed to be one/two or no small screws in the upper rear part of the door frame holding the window frame in position (in addition to the brackets to front and rear of the base of the door frame)? My car has these but I'm not convinced they are original, or required given the frame fixings to the upper and lower parts of the door.
Yes, there should be two screws - see the two attached pictures below. The Green Sands car is a totally unmolested car. The screws for the Red car have not yet been been finally assembled.

4. I can't seem to get hold of the special rivets ("cup and rivet" - BD26706/3) from the usual suppliers - any ideas as to where these can be purchased?
Not sure - SNG Barratt are showing them as no longer made - XK Unlimited show them as an available part, but nil stock.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris420sa
Great Britain

#10 Re: Door seal and door chrome

Post by chris420sa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Bill - many thanks. Very helpful - wish me luck.
Best regards
Chris
Chris Davies
1972 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#11 Re: Door seal

Post by angelw » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 am

Hello Chris,
I just noticed that your car is a 2+2. They have a different door Top Chrome Moulding to that of an OTS. The 2+2 use two screw, one at each extreme end of the moulding, plus the Pop Rivet Clips. I'll measure the spacing and post them tomorrow. You can also determine the spacing and position of the holes in the door from the actual chrome moulding.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris420sa
Great Britain

#12 Re: Door seal

Post by chris420sa » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Bill - good point. Look forward to your update.
Best regards
Chris
Chris Davies
1972 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic