AC temperature control capillary broken

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#1 AC temperature control capillary broken

Post by Mephistopheles » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Dear all,
air conditioning of my E type is out of order because of broken capillary of temperature control. Unfortunately I cannot find the E type capillary thermostat as spare part for reasonable price.
Are there alternatives available?
Thanks in advance
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#2 Re: AC temperature control capillary broken

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 pm

I’m guessing it’s the valve assembly. ?
I bought mine fro SNG maybe 5 years ago but can’t remember what I paid.
I do have all invoices and can check it if needed.
Cheers ..... Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#3 Re: AC temperature control capillary broken

Post by Mephistopheles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Dear Ole,
Thanks for your reply.
I am referring to the heat control located on the left side of the air conditioning panel. It is a capillary controlled switch that operates the magnetic switch to clutch in the air conditioning compressor. The capillary sticks in the AC evaporator matrix where it acts as temperature sensor. The capillary itself should contain a volatile liquid and its vapor can interact with a membrane to switch on/off current. The same principle (mechanical thermostat) is used in the heat control switch in refrigerators.

I was able to solve this issue today without the need of a new capillary heat switch: I discussed this topic with an expert of my workshop. He told me that he hasn‘t seen any E type AC with well working, i.e. temperature sensitive capillary switch so far. According to his opinion the heat control knob -in reality- just activates the magnetic switch that clutches in the air conditioning compressor as soon as the heat control knob is slightly turned clockwise.
And I still remember that adjusting the AC temperature by means of the heat control knob was always more or less impossible (at least in the case of my E type): cold, or „off“.
When I examined the terminals of the heat switch I recognized oxidation. After cleaning the terminals the magnetic switch clutches in the AC compressor as soon as the heat knob is turned clockwise and the ventilator is switched on. However, adjusting the AC temperature is wishful thinking, do you have the same experience with adjusting the AC temperature (cold or „off“)?
Best regards
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#4 Re: AC temperature control capillary broken

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi Holger,
My ac temperature control works well. As you pointed out, it basically controls the ac compressor clutch.
However, the fan switch seem to have developed the same problem as your switch. It used to give me three speeds, but now only high works.
New switch or cleaning is I’m my future.
Cheers .... Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic