Purpose of rear aluminium plate on S2 & S3 models?

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Meonstoke
Great Britain

#1 Purpose of rear aluminium plate on S2 & S3 models?

Post by Meonstoke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering if there is a specific purpose for the aluminium plate at the rear of the S2 and S3 cars? i.e. upon which the larger rear light housing and number plate are attached. I mean other than perhaps for (dubious) aesthetic reasons ? I see a number of cars have had these alu cover/plates removed to simplify the look of the back of the S2/S3s - but what was the thinking of Jaguar at the time, does anyone know? Do they provide extra protection of some kind?

I have a second query regarding the vertical chrome side strip / claw that was added to the outer side of each rear lights cluster on the S2 cars. I can see that the design of the S2 rear end is more abrupt than that of the S3 rear which is slightly more elongated. But can these S2 chrome strips also be fitted to the S3 rear light clusters?

Thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#2 Re: Purpose of rear aluminium plate on S2 & S3 models?

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:35 am

The plinth is stainless, not alloy, and is for looks to cover unstyled bodywork needed when they switched to different and safer federally- mandated lamps.

The S3 lamps are recessed into the deeper boot compartment needed for the bigger tank. There is no space or need for chrome side pieces (often called ‘clam shells’).

They were fitted on S2 cars to tidy up the gap between the shallow modified S1 boot bodywork and the rear lamp casings/brackets that were never designed to be visible. If you remove the stainless trim and/or clam shells you need to clean/paint/ tidy the rear lamp area.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Meonstoke
Great Britain

#3 Re: Purpose of rear aluminium plate on S2 & S3 models?

Post by Meonstoke » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the good explanation, appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic