series 3 vs Series 1

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

AussieEtype
Australia

#61 Re: series 3 vs Series 1

Post by AussieEtype » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:40 am

I used my Series 3 as an everyday driver for quite a few years and the long doors were a bit of a disadvantage in the supermarket car parks - because the doors are long, with cars parked on either side, you cannot get the doors open very far before they touch the car next to you - making it awkward swing the knees out of the car. Shorter doors would open further so so helping you to get out.

The other aspect is that the long heavy doors give the bushings in the hinges hell and I have always had a bit of movement in them but has never worn enough to become a major issue.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#62 Re: series 3 vs Series 1

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:21 am

madjack4 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 pm
Hi back on the getting in and out i have mazda mx5 seats in my s3 on fossway runners it gives me another 2 inches of space plus the shape of the seat backrest misses the roof mechanism when the roof is down i am 6ft 2in and transforms the car for getting in and out and on a long journey it makes it so much more comfortable plus its so easy to put the original seats back so no resale problems

Regards
I have Mazda seats in my S3 as well, but on the original Mazda runners adapted to the S3 mounting holes and brackets.
My seats sits a little high in the car, which is OK for a vertically challenged like me, but I'd be interested to know how your seats are mounted on the Fossway runners, if you care to share.

Thanks ........ Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mephistopheles
Germany

#63 Re: series 3 vs Series 1

Post by Mephistopheles » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:48 pm

interesting discussion...from an aesthetic point of view I would prefer a combination of series 3 and series 1: the series 3 OTS body, but with the short wheelbase of series 1. The wheelbase and the doors of series 3 are simply much too long. But this is just my personal opinion. Nevertheless, I have not yet put the cutting torch on and I will not do so in the future. :bigrin:
Best regards
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#64 Re: series 3 vs Series 1

Post by angelw » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Garry Wrote:
The other aspect is that the long heavy doors give the bushings in the hinges hell and I have always had a bit of movement in them but has never worn enough to become a major issue.
Hello Garry,
Is your car USA delivered? The US cars have an anti intrusion panel inside the doors which is quite massive. Australian delivered (and perhaps other parts of the World) cars don't have this panel and the difference in weight is extraordinary.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#65 Re: series 3 vs Series 1

Post by AussieEtype » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:29 am

Hi Bill - no my car is a UK car - the doors have always been the same - even back in 1982 when I got it. The doors do not sag and close correctly but when they are open you can lift them a little - not sure it is something to get fixed with new bushes as it could make things worse and open a can of worms. As I said they close fine, gaps are fine just noticeable if you try and lift the door when it is open (and how often do you try and lift doors).

Cheers
Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SESH
Great Britain

#66 Re: series 3 vs Series 1

Post by SESH » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 am

Mephistopheles wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:48 pm
interesting discussion...from an aesthetic point of view I would prefer a combination of series 3 and series 1: the series 3 OTS body, but with the short wheelbase of series 1. The wheelbase and the doors of series 3 are simply much too long. But this is just my personal opinion. Nevertheless, I have not yet put the cutting torch on and I will not do so in the future. :bigrin:
Best regards
Holger
Think Jay Leno in the States did this to an E Type. He has a SWB series 3 in red.
Mike
1973 Jaguar E Type Series 3 OTS Signal Red
1968 Proteus Jaguar C Type Ecurie Ecosse Flag Blue
1963 Triumph TR4 Signal Red
2020 Mustang Bullitt Highland Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic