Hood Finisher

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Doddsy
Great Britain

#1 Hood Finisher

Post by Doddsy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:55 pm

I am struggling to fit the hood finisher BD39031 (as the cuts to my fingers will attest). I cannot get the chrome to latch on to the retaining clips BD16974. Any advice appreciated!

Some background. I have just refitted the mohair hood as I was dissatisfied with previous efforts. This is now much tighter and is looking pretty good. The chrome finisher is another story. I have tried reusing the older clips and also new ones but still no joy. The finisher now is getting a bit distorted (rubber mallet desperation). The only glue used was to stick the hood overlap into the seal channel. The clips seem to fit well and the barbs on the underside are gripping the hood material in the channel. On the upper side the protruding "ears" dont stick out very far, if at all and certainly don't engage with the chrome finisher.

I have thought about trying to bend the ears to stick out a bit more but that isn't easy with the spring steel. The only other alternative is to glue the finisher in place but I see that as a last resort (unless otherwise advised). If thesis the best way forward which glue would be recommended. has anyone tried to modify the clips .

So much for easy winter jobs!

Many thanks
Teddington UK. Series 3 OTS 1972. Owned since 1982.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Doddsy
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hood Finisher

Post by Doddsy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Just to close this post, I have given up trying to get the clips on and resorted to black Sikaflex. I can only presume that my chrome finisher was too distorted and or the Hood material is too thick. Anyway it is on for now at least.
Teddington UK. Series 3 OTS 1972. Owned since 1982.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic