V12 Getrag 265 bellhousing

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Curtis Bay
Great Britain

#21 Re: V12 Getrag 265 bellhousing

Post by Curtis Bay » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:41 am

Thanks Simon. I will give this some thought.......
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC - Opalescent silver blue metallic with grey interior
1974 Series 3 5.3 Auto DHC - Sable with biscuit interior - something which has to change!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#22 Re: V12 Getrag 265 bellhousing

Post by MLBS3V12 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Suppliers in UK and Germany still work on the Getrag 265 if a rework is requested.
Since I work on my own V12, Ive bought and sold several ones to help le in my restauration.😁
Not to hard to fing close from 1000€.
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#23 Re: V12 Getrag 265 bellhousing

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:47 am

vee12eman wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 pm
The home made linkage may not be the best, I saw the guy selling linkages at Stoneleigh years ago, but he had sold out and it was my last visit before emigrating. My linkage was made from scrap pieces of metal,

….much cheaper than finding an original manual, remember I was converting from auto. Anyway, I’m really pleased with it and it’s definitely better than auto.
The German linkage is not much better - probably not as good. The forward ball pin snapped off the bridge piece on mine 2/3 way up Prescott Hill, resulting in me being in the wrong gear as I came up to a slippery left hander as it began to rain. Made a mess of the undertray although it was driveable. I'd probably try the Realm Supra kit now but I got my Getrag bits cheap so I was happy enough. People on a budget should remember that going from auto to a four speed is a far greater improvement than going from 4 to 5 speed. So the cheapest upgrade and bang per buck is to fit a normal 4-synchro box instead of the auto.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#24 Re: V12 Getrag 265 bellhousing

Post by vee12eman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:37 pm

I agree with Pete. I had looked for a four speed manual conversion and I was very keen on a manual/overdrive unit. The bell housing availability was not great at the time and generally, every four speed box for a V12 was more expensive than the unit I ended up with. The challenge of the conversion was as much an attraction as the end result and I’m pleased with what I achieved.

I have no reference to compare my car. I didn’t even drive it as an auto and I haven’t driven another E-type of any description. I appreciate the extra economy and relaxed cruising and I am a better mechanic than a driver, so I may not be the best person to ask. Third and fourth gears seem fun to me, first, probably a bit low, but I’m not a racing driver, so no worries for me.

Regards,
Simon S-Y
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic