E-type Tinder

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

jagwit
South Africa

#21 Re: E-type Tinder

Post by jagwit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:51 am

JoeLondon wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:32 am
What is the little thing on the side of the air cleaner near the port, looks like an mini oil can or a breather of some sort.

I see it's the diaphragms from your other post!

Explains why the cold start takes ages to warm up.
Yes, that the vacuum operated actuator that switches a flap inside the air filter housing tunnel. If you connect a rubber pipe to that nipple and suck on it quite firmly, you should be able operate the flap. That would tell you immediately if the diaphragms in the actuators are good or not.

IF you say the car takes very long to warm up, it seems to me that the thermostats were removed!! This is bad as this also means that the bypass circuit is not closed off. It is therefore high priority to get those thermostat covers off to see whats going on there. Correct thermostat: C28067#

Other than cooling system (and brakes), the ignition system is the most important aspect to look at. Again, judging by the condition of your car, I would not be surprised if its still fitted with the infamous "OPUS" ignition system. If so, that MUST come out immediately and be upgraded with something modern, either the ignition system from an XJS (cheap if you can find a system - dissy, AB14 ignition module and dual coils) or from Lumenition. Post a pic of the valley of the engine from dissy to waterpump please. Also send a pic of the flying saucer thingy on the side of the dissy.
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 E-type V12, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#22 Re: E-type Tinder

Post by jagwit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 am

JoeLondon wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:00 pm
Seems from this pic that the cowling that should be mounted on top of the exhaust manifold is also missing. The hot air duct from the air cleaner should plug into the cowling covering the exhaust manifolds on BOTH SIDES.
Best Regards
Philip

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JoeLondon
Great Britain

#23 Re: E-type Tinder

Post by JoeLondon » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 pm

I think the dizzy and coil look ok and upgraded.

Not sure about the wood screw in the vacuum on the back n/s carb. Something to do with the missing hot air pickup hose and the question over the thermostats?

Something did move when I sucked on the nipple (nothing new there :dance:)

Anyway, she's going to doctor Moss tomorrow, who has a list as long as an e-types bonnet.
Joe
1972 S3 2+2 V12 Manual, FHC, Racing Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#24 Re: E-type Tinder

Post by jagwit » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 am

OK, ignition wise, things don't look standard anymore.

If the flying saucer thingy on the back of the dissy has a nipple pointing to the dissy, it should be replaced with one (JLM519 from SNG) that has the nipple pointing away from the dissy (another one to suck on :bouncyyellow: ) . Connect the vacuum nipple to permanent manifold vacuum. (Don't let anyone tell you to start drilling carbs!!)

It looks as though the original OPUS ignition module has been moved to the picture frame, but its impossible to tell what it is. If it is original OPUS, then, for your own peace of mind, replace it with either a Lumenition system or replace the entire dissy, ignition module with the dual coils from an XJS (latter might be cheaper).

But, it seems a good decision to have it looked at. Hope your man knows the V12....
Best Regards
Philip

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JoeLondon
Great Britain

#25 Re: E-type Tinder

Post by JoeLondon » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks Philip,

The mechanic I've sent it to is a recommendation from the good guys of this forum and by all accounts is the right guy. I feel like this car deserves a bit of correction.

I wait with baited breath to find out just how much correction that is. Hoping for nothing earth shattering, but time will tell, she's in good hands now...

Cheers :salute:
Joe
1972 S3 2+2 V12 Manual, FHC, Racing Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic