Upper ball joint

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#1 Upper ball joint

Post by Fspp369 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:21 pm

I apologise in advance:
Does anyone know of a solution to the perennial UBJ question of joint substitution.
I am aware of the CMC upgrade, but am not too keen on the mod.
In my lower joints I have fitted the modern Lemforder one piece joint ...easy!
What I would like to know from the large grey cell volume of the forum ,...is there a modern ball joint that screws into a modified wishbone and comes as a sealed unit similar to the LBJ, so that fitting would be quick easy safe and reliable.
Is anyone familiar with a joint of this type, what vehicle are they found on?
I have just spent an hour and a quarter fitting my replacements. To tension the joint I used a slightly modified caulking gun and small socket, worked a treat.
Any thoughts anyone...I know it’s an old chestnut
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS
RR Phantom 3 1937 Sedanca de Ville.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Upper ball joint

Post by angelw » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Hello Fspp369,
In the past I've fitted sealed Ball Joints from an MG F; they have a Threaded body with a thin lock not. The wishbone is modified by completely removing the area of the wishbone from the groove for the Gaiter down and Thread Milling the matching female thread. The diameter of the tapered pin of the Ball Pin is smaller than the original and requires a tapered sleeve, which I fit to the Ball Pin, rather than press into the stub axle carrier.

Of late, I've been fitting the CMC system that employs the Nylon Sabot. I rather like this system, as externally the modification is invisible in the finished product. New, whole replacement upper wishbones from SNGB for S1 and S2 cars are all equipped with this system, with the standard wishbone listed as no longer manufactured. Its my understanding that new replacements for the S3 wishbone aren't available, at least not from SNGB.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#3 Re: Upper ball joint

Post by Fspp369 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 am

Thanks for that Bill.
As a matter of interest did you feel that the MGF mod was “up to it” as the pin is a fair bit smaller?
I’m not worried by the appearance I’m not one of the “must be original” guys, my car is heavily modified by the PO to great effect, mainly for ease of ownership but also to incorporate as many “newer” upgrades as possible.
I’m keen to maintain this ethic and all work done to the car as far as I’m concerned will be along the upgrade path. I have been looking at a Mercedes ball incorporating a lock nut but I don’t think there is enough “meat” in the OEM wishbone.
So thanks again, any information is good.
Here’s one up for the collective brain of the EtOF. :drinkingcheers:
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS
RR Phantom 3 1937 Sedanca de Ville.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic