Rebuilding lsd.

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#21 Re: Rebuilding lsd.

Post by Fspp369 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:16 pm

What quaint habits occur in the colonies!
Lol.
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS
RR Phantom 3 1937 Sedanca de Ville.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Adamski
Great Britain

#22 Re: Rebuilding lsd.

Post by Adamski » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:06 pm

So turn the clock back to about 1978. I've just bought my 72 V12S3. There was some clunking on the pinion shaft on power on off. Me young lad didn't like the idea of replacing the pinion collapsible oil seal thrust washer which you're supposed to do when tightening the nut, My torque wrench didn't go up to the big torque the nut needs,which incidentally was loose.So from memory I tightened it up as hard as possible with the help of a length of pipe. I needed a touch of diff oil but it wasn't available in the shops so my local Jaguar franchised dealer gave me about 4 pints of the correct Castrol LS. I topped it up and have never touched it since. Last year I checked the level and it took half a syringe of the oil that I still have. Over the years I've had the rear end apart many times and have done overhaul including output shaft seals and discs and all needles and UJ's etc, But the pinion shaft I have not touched since.
How great that in those days I cold walk into the big workshops and the supervisors were real people.
Adam
S3 V12 E Type FHC Manual 1972-owned since 1978
1957 XK150 since 1976

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic