Oil pump

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
lowact
Australia

#1 Oil pump

Post by lowact » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:26 am

You know how it is when you’re sure about what you did but afterwards, when it doesn’t work, you start to have doubts about whether you did or you didn’t?
Took the engine out to fit HE (high compression) heads and pistons, reassembled using plenty of engine lube. Beforereinstalling I want to see the oil flow, i.e., loosen the oil supply lines to the cam shafts, spin it with the starter motor, when oil leaks out, that’ll be good.
But it wasn’t. Over filled with oil, turn over with starter motor but no oil in the delivery passage and nothing in the filter, what is going on? Starter motor is finding it hard work so I don’t want to crank anymore. Now I’m absolutely certain (?) that I didn’t take off the oil pump drive gear so I can’t have forgotten to fit the woodruff key. Loathe to start pulling apart my immaculately reassembled and sealed engine, but I’m not seeing any option? Maybe I should start by removing the sump, that (may) uncover the issue. Please, any suggestions?
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
lowact
Australia

#2 Re: Oil pump

Post by lowact » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:31 am

Just found this post.
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9440
I'll try backfilling as suggested.
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

71 V12
Great Britain

#3 Re: Oil pump

Post by 71 V12 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Not tried this on a V12 oil pump but a great method for rapid priming my classic Honda motorcycle pumps is to pack the pump with Vaseline.

Worth a try if all else fails.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#4 Re: Oil pump

Post by madjack4 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi rebuilt my v12 about 2 years ago went down same route as you could not get oil pressure up on starter. I had fitted liners pistons big end and main bearing shells new valves, springs and followers timing chain and guides. Anyway convinced i had done everything right i filled oil through pressure relieve valve left banjo bolts on head slack n got wife to sit in it and start it within 20 secs of starting it pumped oil out of banjo bolts on back of heads, big relief turned engine off and tightened banjo bolts been perfect ever since good look
Regards
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#5 Re: Oil pump

Post by angelw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:20 am

Hello Colin,
I may have pointed out to you, the device shown in the following picture when you were at my workshop last.

Notwithstanding that I use viscous, clingy oil during assembly of an engine, I still use the Pre-Luber I built, shown in the above picture, to ensure the engine has oil pressure before an attempt to start it is made. Rather than just pour the oil into the sump via the fill entry in the cam cover, I use the device shown to deliver the required amount of oil to the engine and in doing so, fill the oil galleries, ensure that the pump is primed and oil pressure is made before starting the engine.

I'm going to add a sight glass to the side of the cylinder so as to better monitor the quantity of oil being delivered to an engine.

You could have at the time of your visit and still now, borrowed the unit.

Best regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#6 Re: Oil pump

Post by madjack4 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi that looks a good bit of kit do u just fill the filter or do u put oil in the tank ?
Regards
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#7 Re: Oil pump

Post by angelw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:17 pm

madjack4 Wrote:
Hi that looks a good bit of kit do u just fill the filter or do u put oil in the tank ?
Hello Madjack,
Oil goes in the cylinder, air connected via regulator, hose from filter connected to oil gallery, open gate valve on top of cylinder to deliver oil to engine.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#8 Re: Oil pump

Post by madjack4 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:19 pm

Thanks great idea
Regards
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
lowact
Australia

#9 Re: Oil pump

Post by lowact » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:50 pm

This is just the best forum ever, never lets me down. Thx peoples, I’m now all sorted, again.

Here is my attempt at an oil system functional diagram. The red bits are the integral (duplicate/superfluous) spin-on filter functions:

I found my “blocked filter” bypass was installed backwards ...
Was easy to fix, is it supposed to be just a lazy push fit?

Two issues: pre-lubing the brgs and getting the pump to work. Here is my effort at pre-lubing, without Bill’s pressure system, just pre-filling the oil lines:

To fill back to the pump I temporarily replaced the filter with a rubber glove. Limits the pressure u can apply because the glove balloons:

Yr valuable advice, to get the pump to work I need to pre-fill the oil cooler. One way, by removing the pressure relief valve, how to do this without oil pouring out all over the floor? Then an epiphany, just flood the sump, drain the excess out afterwards. Too easy. 8-)
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BobV12
Great Britain

#10 Re: Oil pump

Post by BobV12 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:08 pm

New to this forum, will be dismantling and then rebuilding a 48k v12 that’s never been apart, was wondering about this oil pressure on startup issue, really useful comments.
Bob
1973 E Type OTS V12
Lotus Esprit V8

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BobV12
Great Britain

#11 Re: Oil pump

Post by BobV12 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 pm

New to this forum, will be dismantling and then rebuilding a 48k v12 that’s never been apart, was wondering about this oil pressure on startup issue, really useful comments.
Bob
1973 E Type OTS V12
Lotus Esprit V8

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic