Modernized S3

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
pmansson
Sweden

#1 Modernized S3

Post by pmansson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:00 am

I have a very good engine builder that I trust could convert the engine to use an ultra modern FI system with similar mapped ignition.
Question is: what gearbox to use?
Which manual gearbox did they come with? The all synchro Jaguar unit from 1965?
What automatic transmission was used? A BW 3-speed..Ouch !!
Perhaps go with the US Tremec 5 speed... They can make them fit into several cars besides the prime Corvette market.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pmansson
Sweden

#2 To save some trouble

Post by pmansson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:28 am

I just read the earlier thread on "improving my S3".
Good bits esp on the power steering issue.
My idea of very modern FI, is not another 150 HP, but a very smooth running engine albeit with much more HP. This with a mapped ignition will set it up for years to come. Much more direct and even response to the gas pedal....!!
And many more MPG, although with low mileage per year, this is less of an issue.
The IRS and front axle will of course be attended to as well.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:38 pm

I still haven't heard why a modern fuel injection system is any / much better that those used on the XJS. I've had many of those cars, and no matter how much I've neglected them, they always fire up quickly and run smoothly within a couple of minutes, even after standing outside unused for more than 2 years!

My XJS cars stored inside start instantly, and even seem to run well on fuel that is well over a year old, and I must confess, I don't understand that. By contrast, my S3 doesn't seem to like fuel over 6 months old, and takes a fair bit of persuasion to get going if left for 3 months.

I've never had a problem with running a V12 on standard injection either, so long as the sensor connections are cleaned up once every couple of years or so. My XJR-s 6 litre pulls like a train and gets 25mpg on a run...and I do use it quite hard, and it weighs 2 tons!!

So, if anybody is reading this who has a modern replacement system fitted....what's the advantage over the standard system, unless increased performance is required?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

harryetype

Post by harryetype » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:15 pm

We've jst finished an EFI conversion to a S3 E-type using modified a XJS system and it goes as well as you would ever need on a road going E.

Fire's up straight away, pulls exceptionally well and is very smooth. uprated suspension and brakes is a must have with EFI or you could end up in trouble.

The next one will be a S3 5 speed EFI, watch our news page.
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 am

i]"My XJR-s 6 litre pulls like a train and gets 25mpg on a run...and I do use it quite hard, and it weighs 2 tons!" [/i]
Congratulation for this high mpg. Is it really true ? The gas consumption of a 6,0 Limousine is round about 15 mpg. How can this be, that this XJS takes 40% less gas ?
I have a EV12 with 6,0 liter motor and 4 Strombergs , 5-gear Getrag manual gearbox and 2,88 diff. The gas consumption in the moment is around 12 - 17 mpg. I am thinking to convert to a programmable Haltech ECU. If the reduction of gas cunsumption would be low, I would prefere to stay with the strombergs.
Kind regards Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Wolfgang
Yes it is true, but by 'on a run' I do mean open road / motorway driving. Around town or short journeys it soon comes down to 15mpg, and if having a lot of fun, down to single figures. It does weigh two tons after all!

I did use the car a few years ago for a couple of months doing a 220 miles round trip commute, and it really did average the magic 25 mpg. I ran a 6 cylinder manual xjs for many years and 150,000 miles and that never got better than 20 mpg under any driving conditions.

The only thing I can put it down to is the massive torque of the 6 litre car, requiring very little throttle to get going and maintain speed. The 6 cylinder car needed to be driven fairly hard to keep ahead of the BMW pack, but being a manual, probably encouraged a more spirited driving style as well. It behaved like an overgrown 3 litre Ford Capri, and on wet roads could be steered around roundabouts with little input from the steering wheel, and without drama!

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi I have been driving a series 3 e type all summer with a fuel injection engine from a v12 1989 xjs and have found that fuel consumption is in the high twenties.I understand that some people out there think it should have four carb,s and i am not knocking this but for those out there who would like to try somthing different i can tell you that i have found it to be a fantastic conversion and makes driving more pleasurable .Just to give you an example i left on a trip to stoneleigh last sunday a round trip of over a hundred miles with the fuel gauge at 3/4 and when i came back the gauge was just below half way. I also think it is important to say that this coversion is not a permmanent thing and you can easily change back to carb,s if you so wish.
Peter Collins
Peter Collins

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic