Series 3 2+2 1972

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
chris420sa
Great Britain

#1 Series 3 2+2 1972

Post by chris420sa » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:59 am

Hi All - as it's a bank holiday in the UK today, I was at something of a loose end so I checked Richard Russ' Guide to Authenticity which on page 47 states: "the windscreen wiper motor (he means the casing) is painted dark grey metallic hammertone".
I've searched quite extensively for an aerosol of this paint but to no avail.
Could a member please advise a) if this paint is still available and, if so, from which supplier, or b) if no longer available, a reasonably close match and the supplier?
Also, any tips on removal of the motor casing prior to prep and painting would be very helpful eg is it necessary to remove the whole wiper motor/gearbox in order to take off the motor casing?
Look forward to hearing from you
All the best
Chris
Chris Davies
1972 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 3 2+2 1972

Post by MarekH » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:50 am

The casing is held on by the two bolts visible at its base.

You can make a dark grey hammered paint by buying some ordinary silver hammerite paint and adding a bit of black to it.

Unless there is evidence that it has been repainted, painting it a different colour doesn't really make any sense just because someone in a book says something contrary. I doubt Richard Russ is guaranteeing that every single item over a three year period was exactly the same colour and that the police will arrest you for having one that is different. The casing is the same item as on the two fan motors mounted onto the radiator shroud.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic