2 speed wiper control

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#1 2 speed wiper control

Post by colin gray » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:14 pm

Hi, I am just doing a few extra jobs on my car and thought while I am at the point of fitting new coolant, vac and fuel hoses I would fix my wipers. They work most of the time but when they do only on one speed. How is the two speed controlled, is it a resistor like the heater fan or is it within the motor? Is there a fuse for each speed even?
I am also fitting tubular stainless exhaust manifolds from Hayward and Scott so that being the main job has prompted me to do these others while I am at it. Bit ticked off as a stud pulled and will need to be helicoiled in situ where there is not much room with the engine in place :oops:
Cheers
Colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: 2 speed wiper control

Post by MarekH » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:22 am

The switch on the dash controls which way power will be applied to the wiper motor.

The wiper motor runs fast when green connects to yellow. The wiper runs slowly when green connects to blue/green. The wiper parks when blue/green connects to red/green.

There is a microswitch on the wiper body which interfaces between the external loom wiring and the wiper motor internals.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kevh
Great Britain

#3 Re: 2 speed wiper control

Post by kevh » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:04 am

Hi Colin,
With regards to your manifold stud I have recently had the same happen and I used a repair stud on which one end is a larger 7/16 thread, drill and tap your manifold to suit in situ. You will need a long series drill bit and a long reach tap wrench but this removes the need for the helicoil.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/repair-st ... 369-1.html
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#4 Re: 2 speed wiper control

Post by colin gray » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:03 pm

Thanks for the info, so does the motor have the speed resistor in it and the switch selects resisted non resisted or is that all built into the switch?
I did end up helicoiling the stud hole, I had wondered about a repair type stud and even considered having a go at making one.
Regards
Colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#5 Re: 2 speed wiper control

Post by MarekH » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:09 pm

Neither. The motor has more than one winding.
kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#6 Re: 2 speed wiper control

Post by JerryL770 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:53 am

I recently fitted the windscreen wiper timer from Retronics.

I needed a diagram of the connections and got this from SNGB but the wire colours were incorrect - I reckon. This is what worked for me.
E-type S2 wiper switch wiring.pdf
(229.55 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Also I show the wiper motor wire positions.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#7 Re: 2 speed wiper control

Post by MarekH » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:22 pm

You might find this more useful. The bit at the top is the internals of the wiper motor. The bit in the middle is the plug/switch on the wiper motor body. The bit at the bottom is the switch in the cabin.
kind regards
Marek
s3 wiper motor.jpeg
s3 wiper motor.jpeg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#8 Re: 2 speed wiper control

Post by colin gray » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:51 pm

Thanks for all the input its all great info, I have just returned from Holland today having done around 750 miles over a long weekend in the "E". Before I went I fitted the new tubular manifolds, new water pipes, engine belts vacuum pipes and fuel pipes in the engine bay. Retuned the carbs and generally went around the car.
I am running a 2.88 diff and after all the work I am pleased overall with the way the car performed, I fitted a new resistor to the heater blower and surprise surprise for some reason the two speed wipers just started working normally for some reason and they had plenty of use on the way home.
I just discovered that now the brakes seem to hang on for a second or two when pedal pressure is released but it was annoying rather than a real problem. I also feel I would like a smoother gearchange so I am thinking of a five speed conversion too but do not want to overdo it with my uprated diff ratio, I am getting over 20mpg while cruising which seems very good in my view for such a car.
I guess I need to look at the gearbox and brakes section next.
I also think an intermittent wiper control or switch once to wipe would be useful, having said that it is only the second time I have had a serious amount of rain in the last 12 years of ownership

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic