Needles for SU carb conversion

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

MarekH
Great Britain

#21 Re: Needles for SU carb conversion

Post by MarekH » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:49 am

Jagboi wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:41 am
I added about 0.002" of solder to the top of the needle only in the idle range, and only on one side.
The neatest way to do that would be to coat/dip the end of the needle in plumber's solder flux and then apply the solder immediately thereafter. The solder will "take" to where the flux is as the affinity to bond is high, but it'll not want to bind nearly as readily where there is no flux.

The other nice thing about this "opposite" method is that you know the starting position. Removing the excess is easy if you have flux, a bit of heat and a wooden cocktail stick. The wood can't damage the brass because it is softer than metal.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jagboi
Canada

#22 Re: Needles for SU carb conversion

Post by Jagboi » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:33 pm

MarekH wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:49 am
The neatest way to do that would be to coat/dip the end of the needle in plumber's solder flux and then apply the solder immediately thereafter. The solder will "take" to where the flux is as the affinity to bond is high, but it'll not want to bind nearly as readily where there is no flux.
I used a very fine electronics solder, so it was easy to apply to solder only where I wanted it. It didn't lay as flat as I wanted at the transition from solder/no solder because of the surface tension of the liquid metal, so I had to file it smooth after it cooled. Otherwise I had a step change in AFR, and that wasn't good.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic