S3 Heater Install

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Redman
Great Britain

#1 S3 Heater Install

Post by Redman » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:15 am

Am collecting all the various parts needed to reinstall the heater and fresh air ventilation systems on my 71 (ex US) S3. PO for some reason removed it in its entirety from engine side of bulkhead - controls and levers within dash/cockpit seem to be still there. However (see photos) where the heater mounts to the bulkhead a large relay has been bolted into what I assume is one of the 4 mounting holes. What is this relay for and where should it be relocated to (does it matter)? I assume once relay is out of the way I can simply bolt (x4) the heater box to the bulkhead - brake servo vacuum pipe crosses this area as well so cannot be 100% sure will allow for this until actually fit.
Thanks in advance. (As you can see a wad of green foam has been pushed into the hole in the bulkhead IOT block air flow in absence of heater. Quite a bodge!

Gordon James
S3 1971 - Original (JHT) LHD/Auto/Air Con. Re-imported from US via UK in 1994, rebuilt Antwerp. Dk Blue (orig Sable)/Biscuit (orig Beige)
Porsche 911SC 1983
VW T2A Bus 1971
VW Beetle Cabrio 1967 (but bit of a mixture!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mephistopheles
Germany

#2 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Mephistopheles » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:58 pm

Gordon,
I can only speak for LHD E Type Series 3:
There is only one relay on the left hand side near the bulkhead, this is the air conditioning main relay. In its original condition it is bolted to the left mudshield, next to the brake fluid reservoir for the rear brakes (see extract from repair manual and photo).
The contacting of this relay is as follows: C1 blue cable, C2 blue-brown cable, W2 white cable, W1 earth black cable.
As you have correctly described, the heater box is attached to the bulkhead with 4 screws (see photo, red arrows). Last, but not least there is a flat gasket made of foam rubber between the heater box and the square cut-out in the bulkhead (part number C17308)

Good luck and have fun

Holger

1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Redman
Great Britain

#3 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Redman » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:14 pm

That's just what I need - and the supplementary photos are a bonus. Many thanks.

This is also LHD: much of air con needs to be put back into service, so I will just move the relay to the original location pending getting on with the rest of it.

G
Gordon James
S3 1971 - Original (JHT) LHD/Auto/Air Con. Re-imported from US via UK in 1994, rebuilt Antwerp. Dk Blue (orig Sable)/Biscuit (orig Beige)
Porsche 911SC 1983
VW T2A Bus 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#4 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Craig Balzer » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:56 pm

Gordon

You need to understand one more "hole".
That additional hole is at 9 o'clock to the rectangular opening for the heater and i's larger than the 4x holes for the mounting bolts for the heater box.
This hole is for the two cables that attach to the heater box - one controls the flap (to open/close the air flow) and one to manipulate the heater control valve

Bonus - I drew this up to help me during my total restoration

/
/
/
/
Current status

Craig Balzer
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
1972 Series III OTS, 4-Speed (soon-to-be a Guy Broad 5-Speed), A/C, CWW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#5 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Craig Balzer » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:01 pm

Ooops - one more item

You're gonna find that the heater box is heavy.
You'll need this bracket to help support the weight(both parts of the bracket are available at SNG Barratt)

/
/

With my E-type still in pieces, I can provide more details. Just ask.
Craig Balzer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mephistopheles
Germany

#6 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Mephistopheles » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 am

Craig,

Has there been any progress with your engine?
I have read your restoration posts on Jag Lovers with pleasure and interest. When can we expect the continuation of your restoration reports?

Regards
Holger
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#7 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Craig Balzer » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:37 pm

Holger

Thanks for the kind words and continued interest in my effort.

Back in October I ran into two major issues that necessitated a tactical pause:

1) I was nearly 100% through my budget but only 85-90% of the way through my restoration. Needed to slow down the spending and get caught up financially. And knowing the impending expenses associated with the holidays it was the proper time to apply the front hydraulic disc brakes and idle at roadside.

2) I am facing two mechanical challenges (2x head studs that didn't cooperate during torqueing and a steering column that wasn't going back together nearly as easily as it came apart). My frustration was building faster than my patience could absorb. I stepped away with the intent of returning at the New Year with refreshed attitudes. Then a series of medical issues hit back to back to back. Just now getting my wind back.

Stay tuned - my goal is a running, stopping, and turning E-Type this summer
Craig Balzer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mephistopheles
Germany

#8 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Mephistopheles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:27 am

Craig

It's one of those things with our hobby: we're getting more and more perfect at opening cans of worms: Projects that started out as manageable become complex jobs that blow any budget. It's like a crab walk: one step forward, followed by two steps back…incomprehension about how our vehicles were cobbled together over five decades ago in the British Leyland conglomerate, frustration about the poor quality of the one or other spare part and never-ending other trouble…

However, when the sun shines again the next day,
you get into the E Type, you turn the ignition key and the V12 comes to life, when you drive along a curvy country road and look over the never-ending bonnet along the horizon, then you are more than compensated for all the trouble and you think: isn't this a great car! life is wonderful!

With this in mind

Best wishes
Holger
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Redman
Great Britain

#9 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Redman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:16 am

Reference heater support bracket - good to know. I had seen the parts on the relevant page of the Spare Parts Listing but was puzzled as to exactly what for / where mounted. All very timely, though I'm still at the stage of compiling the ancillary bits and pieces before purchase (I have the heater box and matrix plus the snail shell and motor/fan). Thanks again.
Gordon James
Porsche 911SC 1983
VW T2A Bus 1971

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cunpr
Great Britain

#10 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by cunpr » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:56 pm

Dear All,
On this heater theme, I've just refitted mine after a brake master cylinder replacement and noticed there appears to be something missing. On the lower front righthand side of the heater box there is spindle that opens and closes a flap underneath the front of the heater box (described by SNG B as the "pivot bar assembly"). On the same side there is a lever described by SNG B as both the "Heater flap lever" or "Pivot bar assembly". Both shown on the photos of my car attached. What is not present is any linkage between the two. I assume there should be. Again SNG B list a "heater flap spring" that might be the link but from their diagram could also just center the pivot bar. At the moment when I actuate the "On" or "Off" lever in the cabin left of the heat control nothing in the heater box moves. I'm assuming that should control this flap? My contemporary repair manual sheds no light on this.
So any photos or info as to what should be between the lever and the flap greatly appreciated.
Regards
Paul C

Regards
Paul C
1973 Series 3 OTS
1964 semi lightweight race car in build
1995 P38 Range Rover, owned from new, LPG
1983 JCB 3CX Sitemaster with sidehammer
1989 Bultaco Frontera Mk 15 370cc
1985 Bultaco Sherpa 199B 325cc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#11 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by MarekH » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:35 am

There should be a thick heavy spring mounted onto the two red lugs where you have green arrow shown. When activated, it is hard to compress until it suddenly flips. This snaps the door open or shut and makes it change state.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#12 Re: S3 Heater Install

Post by Craig Balzer » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:59 pm

That spring is #31 on this diagram
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English(US)/ ... mbly/18222

Available from SNG Barratt:
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English(US)/ ... 202045400)

BEFORE

Better view - matrix on my bench up-side-down

AFTER
No Spring

Spring in place - on bench waiting for engine to be installed before installing heater matrix

CAUTION - that sucker is quite stiff and will readily launch across your garage into some obscure corner never to be seen again
Craig Balzer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic