Jerks and sputters when hot on the road

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
peter606

#1 Jerks and sputters when hot on the road

Post by peter606 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 pm

My Series 3 Auto V-12 has started to sputter and jerk when it gets hot as you drive down the road and seems to be worse on uphill climbs. also when you remove the gas cap lots of air rushes out and when you put the cap back on it still comes out the little vent hole for a while till it all cools down.

Fuel problem or Ignition Problem. ??

Thanks Peter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

D COUPE
Great Britain

Post by D COUPE » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:29 pm

What ignition system does it have? New Opus?

DC
ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE ITS HOW GOOD YOU LOOK IN IT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnmack

#3 Re: JERKS AND SPUTTERS WHEN HOT ON THE ROAD

Post by johnmack » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Peter, I had this problem and i found that the distributor cap was getting condensation from the engine showing as drops of water all round the inside of the cap. There is a modification cap you can buy with 2 pipes one fits to the the inlet manifold the other just ties on on of the bars on the side of S3 engine bay, this pipe supplies the fresh air through the filter from the kit. This stopped the condensation in the cap and the engine runs fine. I would check this 1st before messing with the ignition.

Be lucky

John
Series 3 owner

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Peter : I doubt that the air is rushing out - it is far more likely that what you hear is air rushing in ! It is a common problem and you can either buy a proper vented cap, or else just drill a small ( 3mm is ample) hole right through the cap so that air can find its way in . The problem you describe is characteristic of the tank developing a partial vacuum

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic