Nearly there; 27 years off the road and 8 years home resto

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
vee12eman
Kiribati

#1 Nearly there; 27 years off the road and 8 years home resto

Post by vee12eman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 am

Well guys,

Recent events and postings have inspired me to share the latest shots of my home restoration. Not quite roadworthy yet, but very close.
First, a reminder of the starting point:

Next, prior to paint:

The newly fitted engine:

And finally up to date: this is on a cloudy evening (today), after a quick wash;

I know there are inaccuracies, like the sidelight/indicator assemblies from a Series 2, plus it's not quite finished and the headlight chromes surrounds are missing, but it's all my own work, I love it and I hope you like it!

Just off to watch the Top Gear E-Type Tribute - finally screening here.
Last edited by vee12eman on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 am

Simon, well done! Lovely looking car. I do like the lines of the S3 +2.

Angus

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:35 pm

She does look quite superb, Simon. What colour is that? It doesn't look like the standard Jaguar burgundy of the time. And I hope that you've re-painted your ammunition box to match the new colour!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 pm

It looks absolutely splendid, and is a tribute to your persistence . I wish you great enjoyment with it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 am

Many thanks for the kind comments, I have worked hard and it is nice to have positive feedback.

The colour is non-original, although it is still a Jaguar colour. I did want to paint an original colour, on the grounds that Jaguar would paint any colour from their range to special order, eventually deciding upon Opalescent Maroon. Then I discovered that the old colours are very expensive to produce so I looked again and chose a modern version of the colour, called Madeira, I think it was current on Jaguars in the late 1990s.

The ammo box is still the same colour! It came with the hired trailer and contained the tie-down straps.

Thanks again for the comments.

Regards,
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:07 am

OK,

Well, I never made a blog, like some of you worthy Gentlemen did, but finally, my car is Road Legal and I went for a drive today for the first time (except for a trip to the local garage for a Road Worthy Certificate and turning the car around occasionally).

So, was it worth it? Bloody Hell YES! What an amazing feeling. I am undoubtedly the Happiest E-Type owner in the World today. I lost count of the Thumbs up, horn blowing, flashing lights and waved I got - these cars command more attention than I ever dreamed.

I only made a fairly short trip, but couldn't resist a quick drive along the beach road, then took some photos, the first of the car in her Roadworthy condition, shown below:

Thanks to those who have offered support, help and guidance along the way, I will hopefully return the favour in future.

Regards,

A Very Happy E-Type Owner!
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:29 am

Looks great - a credit to you - you must be chuffed.

When are you going to come and do mine???

1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:38 am

Hi Garry,

Thanks for the comments, I am very happy with the results and it is fantastic to drive MY E-Type after 30+ years of dreaming.

As to finishing your car off, I think She Who Must Be Obeyed has a few plans involving me working around the house over the next few months! Feel free to pm me and arrange a visit if you are ever Visiting locally.

Regards,
Last edited by vee12eman on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveG
Great Britain

Post by SteveG » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 am

Simon, She looks lovely, a real tribute to your dedication over the years. The S3 is such a good looking car too IMO the lines enhanced by the wheels that fill the arches etc. Well done. It is posts like these that will be my inspiration, when in the New Year I can finally drag my S1 2+2 out of it's current resting place where it has spent the last 32 years! :D
Steve - 1966 2+2 1E50101 slow restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Phil
Belgium

Post by Phil » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Congratulations Simon ! you car looks really great and now you will enjoy many miles and smiles ! drive it and enjoy 8)
Philippe
1972 V12 2+2, Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

Post by Mark Gordon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Congratulations, Simon! You have an absolutely gorgeous treasure that is even more special because of your persistent hard work over the years to get her to this condition. When I got my '67 OTS three years ago after lusting after one since I saw my first E Type in 1962, it was not running and the interior was in shambles. After my first test drive (my first time behind the wheel in an E), my office staff complained that they couldn't slap me hard enough to get the grin off of my face. That first drive certainly is a thrill and its only slightly less thrilling each time you get behind the wheel and push the starter button. Many happy years of enjoyable motoring.

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 am

Simon - just a side issue - I see that you have managed to get Club/Historic registration. Now I understand that you have a non original gearbox so how did you manage to get club rego?

Mainly interested as I have a Commodore 5 litre Getrag (292?) in my car and I am considering removing it and going back to the original box so that I will be eligible for Historic rego.

Cheers

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Garry,
Sorry for the delay in answering, I have been in the outback for a few days - I needed a break from E-type Restoration!
As far as Club Rego goes, there was no problem here in Victoria. I explained to the engineer that was inspecting the car prior to RWC (the car has no compliance plate, being a UK import, so required an engineers report) and he annotated the paperwork accordingly. The Roadworthy inspector was told, he had to be as he had to drive the car, and so were the insurers. Club plates here can be issued to some pretty wild and wonderful machinery, in fact to some cars which would not qualify for normal rego, as far as I can tell. I certainly didn't hide the fact and Vic Roads are definitely in possesion of paperwork which clearly identifies the modification, but as the car had a full engineers report in addition to RWC, perhaps that explains it. The club scheme down here is a permit, rather than a rego, again that may be the reason. Vic Roads did not actually inspect the vehicle, which they would for an actual registration - the downside is I only get 90 days a year to drive the car (with a logbook to fill in), but it is cheaper than full rego and cheaper on insurance too.

Regards,

Simon.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 pm

vee12eman wrote:the downside is I only get 90 days a year to drive the car (with a logbook to fill in), but it is cheaper than full rego and cheaper on insurance too.

Regards,

Simon.
Thanks for that - so you have it on the 90 day system rather than full historic rego - that explains being allowed to have the gearbox. NSW and the ACT do not have the 90 day scheme in place and in the ACT is taking a long time to negotiate.

I am a club historic registrar so following developments with interest. I am hoping we will get the system that you are on so I can leave the box I have in the car.

If I would be you - I would be using those 90days up with gusto - your car is a credit to you.

Cheers

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic