Heater controls /ventilation

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Richard2293
Great Britain

#1 Heater controls /ventilation

Post by Richard2293 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 am

Now that the evenings are getting cooler , I have tried to use the heater to keep warm without putting the roof up. BUT , I cannot feel any air flow or warmth through the windscreen vents, or around my feet . The heater matrix valve appears to working , I can see it moving and all the pipes are hot. The dash mounted air control appears to be working and I can hear flaps moving. The chrome nurled knobs appear to be connected, but have no effect. And the "Pull Air" controls by my knees move but again don't appear to cause air movement. The heater fan motor runs at two speeds but does sound tired, but again doesn't appear to result in any air flow into the car. I have followed the handbook instructions and tried many variations without success. Any tips please ??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

Post by MarekH » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Dear Richard,
The Pull Air controls don't cause any air to move; they simply open the vent on the picture frame to the air dam, so when the car is moving, fresh (ram) air is directed into the cabin around the feet.

If your fan does not work adequately, then the other controls will have little effect.

The knurled knobs only redirect what airflow is created by the heater (or car movement) to either the vents in the dash or to vents at knee level.

The action of the two pull controls for the heater can easily be checked with the bonnet up. One controls the warm water through the matrix. The other operates a flap so that air doesn't go through the matrix.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Richard2293
Great Britain

#3 Heating / Ventilation

Post by Richard2293 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Prompted by your reply, I had the help of an assitant to operate the controls whilst I looked under the bonnet.
Due to a combination of operator error, faulty parts and non original parts , I have resolved the problems

The fresh air vent "Pull" on the drivers side, the cable was slipping through lever on the flap under the bonnet. Now tightened so some draught through drivers foootwell.

I had wrongly assumed that the heater control on the dashboard was "Hot" when pulled out, in fact the opposite.

The flap to divert heat from the footwell to the windscreen , has only a manual knurled operation knob fitted to it, not the wired control to the chrome knurled knob. So only operated by fiddling under the dash. Passenger side still operates remotely.

The heater fan is very tired and clearly needs replacing .

But in summary, now know how to get frsh air and heat into the footwell !!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

You can start with this thread: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2240
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic